VMware Communities
mattad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to set guestVM window size (width+height) for login/welcome screen (NOT after login)?

I have a couple of guestVM machines (Linux, Win, Solaris).

All of them start (on a 64bit Win 7 hostOS) with a smaller window size as the later "working" screen/display size.

For example when the Linux Mint login page is shown in VM window then the size is 1024x768.

Now I enter login name and password.

Then the guestOS looks into its OS-dependent preferences, detects a screen resolution of 1400x900 and adjusts the guestOS window accordingly.

How can I tell VMware to start a certain VM (or even all VMs) with an initial window size for the login/welcome screen of 1400x900 ?

Matt

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Matt,

Can't you just use this?

Ubuntu Forums - HOWTO: Change bootup resolution

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
mattad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there not a more general solution for all types of guestOS?

I could imagine that there is a *.vmx parameter to set the resolution (independent from guestOS)

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

AFAIK the screen resolution is set by the guest OS, so I do not see how it can be set for general guest OS's before boot.

Perhaps when the guest supports EFI that there's a way to do so.

Not sure would have to dive into the EFI docs for that.

For macOS there's a way to set it via nvram, but I doubt that is going to work for a linux guest.

See post from HPReg here: Re: Mavericks Guest OS Resolution resets on restart

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos