VMware Communities
frankofamerica3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to recover saved login info (password) for remote ESXi host in Workstation Pro?

I misplaced my written password for my ESXi host root user. The user and password info is still saved in Workstation Pro (see attached screenshot). How do I retrieve that password for my remote ESXi host saved in Workstation Pro vs having to wipe the box and reinstall ESXi?

Thanks for your efforts!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, you can always poke around in the registry or any ini files in the Workstation folders.  But if I were a betting man, I'd be pretty certain the password will just be a hash stored there, not in plaintext.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your duplicate post (in the ESXi on ARM Fling area) has been reported to moderators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
frankofamerica3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's wonderful. The topic does touch on both ESXi and Workstation Pro. 

As a vmware employee, how about actually helping me or referring me to someone who can help?

The Workstation Pro license I purchased doesn't provide any form of support access. 

0 Kudos
frankofamerica3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

See attached screenshot.

I purchased the Workstation Pro license but do not have the permissions to submit a support request??

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Well, you can always poke around in the registry or any ini files in the Workstation folders.  But if I were a betting man, I'd be pretty certain the password will just be a hash stored there, not in plaintext.

frankofamerica3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good points and yes the password data would be hashed. Server is also certificated so no plain/clear text capture.

I give up and will rebuild the ESXi host.

Thanks everyone for your efforts. 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The ESXi on ARM Fling is not what you’re using, so your duplicate post was in the wrong area anyway.

For reference, the forums are for users to help other users.

If you check my signature, me being an employee has nothing to do with me being a member of the forums, I’m not here to connect users with other employees or support teams.

I wish you luck in getting your problem resolved.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos