VMware Communities
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How to prevent tools upgrade nag?

How do I prevent the attached message from appearing?  I have tried several things I found here with no solution.  Setting tools.upgrade.policy = "manual" in the vmx file does not help.  I also found some Registry changes (for the guest), but no help.  The thing is that my VMware Tools are up to date.  When I reinstall my host system (done often), I get this nag for an existing VM that did not give this message before my host system install.  What is being checked to see if the Tools are not up to date?  It must be something in my host.  What are the valid settings for tools.upgrade.policy?  I cannot find them in any manual.  Leaving this setting out of the vmx also does not help.  Anyone offer some help?  Thanks much and enjoy, John.

Host:Windows 7 Ult x64 Guest:Windows 7 Ult x64 & Windows 10 Pro x64 VMware® Workstation 12 Player 12.1.0 build-3272444
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi John,

Open Player, select File / Player Preferences and uncheck the option "Check for software components as needed".

Hope it helps.

Regards

Franck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi John,

Open Player, select File / Player Preferences and uncheck the option "Check for software components as needed".

Hope it helps.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
gszoniec
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Notice that without Tools, Player cant e.g. properly

resize window.. nevertheless Franck gave you answer.

0 Kudos
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

FranckRookie, thanks, that did it!

gszoniec, thanks also.  I do have VMware Tools installed and it is the latest.  I automatically install it when I install my guest OS.

Thanks much for the help, John.

EDIT: Do either of you know where this setting is stored so I can set it during my host OS install?

EDIT:  Ok, I found it in the preferences.ini file in the AppData\Roaming\VMware folder -> pref.vmplayer.componentDownloadPermission = "deny"

Host:Windows 7 Ult x64 Guest:Windows 7 Ult x64 & Windows 10 Pro x64 VMware® Workstation 12 Player 12.1.0 build-3272444
0 Kudos