VMware Communities
WhiteHatGuy
Contributor
Contributor

How to patch VMware Player 3.1.5 for 32bits machine with new Kernel

Hi
Sorry for my spelling and grammar errors, english is not my native launguage. Also I didnt know where to ask on this forum. I thought VMware Player was the right place.
I need to run VMware-Player-3.1.5-491717.i386 in lubuntu. It has to be that version only, cause my motherboard architecture is 32bits. Thats why I cant use newer versions of vmware player.
I download this patch: vmware workstation 7.1.5 / player 3.1.5 fix for linux 3.2+ (patch by Ariel), I extracted and put in in my home folder.
From this website:
My steps:
1) Ok, so I already install VMware-Player-3.1.5-491717.i386
2) If I start VMware-Player-3.1.5-491717.i386 I get this error message:
VMware Kernel Module Updater, before you can run VMWare, several modules must be compiled and loaded into the running kernel.
3) Ok so time to use the patch
4) I put on terminal this commands:
a) sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
b) chmod +x VMware-Player-3.1.5-491717.i386.bundle

sudo ./VMware-Player-3.1.5-491717.i386.bundle
c) sudo apt-get install patch
d) sudo ./patch-modules_3.2.0.sh
5) It finish the hole process succesfully and it patch it. But when I try to run vmware player, I still get the same error. Before with old kernel it worked properly and I was able to run it with no problems. But with new Lubuntu kernel, now I get the error message, and wont get away.
(VMware Kernel Module Updater, before you can run VMWare, several modules must be compiled and loaded into the running kernel)
6) I noticed that the patch I download has 2 files:
a) patch-modules_3.2.0.sh
b) vmware-715-kernel32.patch
I am able to run patch-modules_3.2.0.sh properly, and I am able to install it succesfully, but I dont know how to install or run vmware-715-kernel32.patch.
I getting the feeling that, this is why I am getting the errors message, because I havent install properly the vmware-715-kernel32.patch
Any ideas of what command I need to run in the terminal in order to run vmware-715-kernel32.patch, and been able to patch the kernel succesfully?
Thanks
0 Kudos
0 Replies