VMware Communities
umen242
Contributor
Contributor

How to not startx in hosted inux CentOS 5.5 ,and how to make full screen

Hello all

Im beginner to VMWare player , im using CentOS 5.5 as the virtual OS and installed the VMWare Player in windows xp 32 bit

And its working great , but when I like to start the GNOME gui to use x server its starting the GUI desktop right inside the VMWare server

I like it just to start , and I will connect form out side ( for example with xming x server ) how can I do that ?

Second question is how can I make the VMWare server with the GUI display to be full screen on my desktop ?

Now when I re-size the window its getting full screen but the Linux main window remain centered and small . and I like it to stretch full screen

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

but when I like to start the GNOME gui to use x server its starting the GUI desktop right inside the VMWare server

You mean the X desktop is started in the guest? That is quite normal if you start the X server....

I like it just to start , and I will connect form out side ( for example with xming x server ) how can I do that ?

You want to connect with a X client to the X server running in the virtual machine?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
umen242
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply

well i don't want to start the x desktop started in my guest i want to be able to start graphic application from

x client ( for example Xming/XLaunch ) .

now to be able to do this i typing startx in the VMWare player screen . but this opens me the desktop in the player .

in simple words what i need to do to be able to connect with x client ?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

How to not startx in hosted inux CentOS 5.5

Edit the /etc/inittab file and change:

id:5:initdefault:

to

id:3:initdefault:

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for the reply

well i don't want to start the x desktop started in my guest i want to be able to start graphic application from

x client ( for example Xming/XLaunch ) .

Therefor you need X forwarding enabled. You can use "ssh" to do that. Edit the "/etc/ssh/sshd_config" and enable "X11 Formwarding". Use PuTTY (for Windows) to connect to your guest and enabled X11 forwarding there, as well. Then you need a X client application like Exceed or similar on the desktop where ypou want to display the X application. Then you start your guest in Runlevel 3, log on to the guest via PuTTY and start your application like that: "firefox &".

Do you want only the application to be redirected? You can redirect the complete desktop if you like, this way.

now to be able to do this i typing startx in the VMWare player screen . but this opens me the desktop in the player .

in simple words what i need to do to be able to connect with x client ?

That is quite normal, as Player displays what would be the physical console at aphysical host.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
njoshsn
Contributor
Contributor

The solution isnt very scientific but it worked for me just this.

In the Centos VM --> SYSTEM--> administration--> display --> hardware --> Configure (monitor type) then select a higher resolution for example 1400x1050 and OK

then go to the settings tab and select the resolution of choice.

Logout and log back in again ..........  Window can be maximised to full screen.

0 Kudos