VMware Communities
gandg
Contributor
Contributor

How to configure network for vmplayer 2.5.1

I have just installed VMware Player 2.1.5 on my RHEL4.7 machine and am trying to use an existing XP virtual machine (which was working OK). I was previously running vmplayer 2.02 and the network was configured using vmware-config.pl to bridge vmnet0 to eth1 which worked no problem and the guest machine was fine.

Now I have removed vmplayer 2.02 and installed 2.1.5 how do I re-configure my network? When I start my guest OS it boots up OK but has no network connectivity.

I installed using the downloaded rpm and have also tried the bundle. from looking on here it seems to be a frequently asked question but I can not find a solution - I have found some suggestions like running vmware-modconfig --console --install-all and vmware-networks --migrate-network-settings /path/to/.vmx but these make no difference

I've had a look in the vmplayer documentation and it still mentions vmware-config.pl but I know this has been replaced - so how do I configure my network so that /dev/vmnet0 is bridged to my second ethernet interface eth1?

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Reply
gandg
Contributor
Contributor

OK, finally found a solution (maybe my original question was wrongly worded?):

edit the file /etc/vmware/networking to include

add_bridge_mapping eth0 -1

add_bridge_mapping eth1 0

My guest OS is now on the network using eth1. This wasn't documented anywhere, post was found on a random forum, but seems to work OK.

0 Kudos