VMware Communities
ECvoyager
Contributor
Contributor

How to configure a Win & VM with a static IP?

HI, I'm running VMware player in a Win 7 host. I created a Win 7 VM with DHCP in a bridged network and it runs fine. But since I need to run the Win 7 VM as server, I tried to configured it with a static IP address, 192.168.1.123. ANd since then, the VM can never bring thenetwork up. Below is the "ipconfig" output from my VM:

C:\Users\Eric Chi>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::dc0a:7509:b7ac:cd93%11
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.123
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

Tunnel adapter isatap.{41AE581D-B476-4171-B9CA-87700041F3DF}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

I'd appreciate any help.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Are you sure the gateway address is x.x.x.2 ? This is usually the case for a NAT configuration.

Please post the output of ipconfig /all of the hosts.

André

0 Kudos
ECvoyager
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the gateway address 192.168.1.1 which is the real gateway address in my home network. But ot didn't work either.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How many physical NICs (wired/wireless) do you have in the host system? And what about the output of ipconfig /all?

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... and can you please - temporarily - set the VM back to DHCP and post the output of ipconfig /all with the automatically assigned IP settings?

André

0 Kudos
ECvoyager
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

I just realized the IP actaully works now. It's the DNS does not work so I cannot verify internet connection with a browser since it cannot resolve a name like www.yahoo.com.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Good to hear the connection is up. Now you will need to compare the auto-assigned IP settings (by setting the VM to DHCP) with the manually assigned IP settings, to see what's different.

André

0 Kudos
ECvoyager
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

The DNS was mis-configured and I just corrcted it. Though the static IP does work now, I still has a problem: I still cannot ping the VM's ip address from my other computers. So the server on this VM is still useless. Do you have any idea?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

ICMP (ping) responses are disabled in the Windows 7 firewall by default. You'll need to enable ICMP on the Outgoing rules in the firewall.

André

0 Kudos