VMware Communities
user1234567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to assign Virtual Network Editor in VMwareWorkstationPro12.5 to VMPlayer 12.5 ?

Folk,

Hello. I have downloaded and installed VMware Workstation 12.5.1 Player (the file is VMware-player-12.5.1-4542065.exe) in Windows 10.

I have chosen the free version for non-commercial use. But Virtual Network Editor is not included in WMware Player any more !

Thus, I need to extract Virtual Network Editor from VMware Workstation Pro 12.5.

I have downloaded and installed VMware Workstation Pro 12.5 in Windows 10.

The file is VMware-workstation-full-12.5.2-4638234.exe.

The trial version is 30 days.

In the install directory of Trial version VMware Workstation Pro 12.5, I can run the Virtual Network Editor by running the file vmnetcfg.exe.

Now, we can assign Virtual Network Editor vmnetcfg.exe to VMPlayer 12.5 by editing .vmx file. But I don't understand how to assign the Virtual Network Editor to VMPlayer 12.5. I have 2 Virtual Machines running in VMware Player 12.5.

My question is:

How to assign Virtual Network Editor (vmnetcfg.exe) in VMwareWorkstationPro12.5 to VMPlayer 12.5 by editing .vmx file ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1) How to have VMnet1 and VMnet8 come up in Windows 10 Network Sharing Center for configure 2 VMs to communicate ?

As far as I know, they should be there when you install Player (or Workstation).  If those adapters are not there, I'd re-install VMware Player - and make sure you run the Installer "As Administrator".

Copying / using existing created VMs should have no difference from creating brand new ones.  Think of virtual machines like Microsoft Word documents - you create them on one machine, and send/copy onto others.  Or just keep them on one machine.  Uninstalling Word then reinstalling it does nothing to your documents.  On a second computer, as long as a version of Word is installed which is new enough to recognize the document format/version, you will be able to open and read it.  Same thing with virtualization software to virtual machines.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You don't assign the editor - you just use it as a standalone program used to configure/define what the VMnet virtual hubs are used for.  Use that especially if you have more than one physical NIC on your host, and want to assign each NIC to a different VMnet hub.  In the vmx file, you just continue to specify which VMnet hub you want the virtual NIC connected to (Bridged = VMnet0, Host-Only = VMnet1, NAT = VMnet8, Custom for any of the remaining ones).

user1234567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Folk,

Hello. Thanks a lot for replying.

The 2 Virtual Machines are communicating with each other successfully in Host Windows 7 using VMplayer 3.

I have copied the 2 VMs into Windows 10 and run the 2 VMs correctly in VMplayer 12.5 in Windows 10.

After install VMware Workstation Pro 12.5, the 2 VMs Operating System run correctly in VMware Workstation Pro 12.5 as well.

I need to configure 2 VMs to communicate with each other in Windows 10.

In Virtual Network Editor, there are VMnet1 (Host-Only) and VMnet8 (NAT).

In Subnet IP box, I simply type in the same IP address. When I click "Apply", the error message comes up:

Error: Subnet IP and Subnet Mask are mismatch !

I don't know how to configure the 2 VMs to communicate with each other in Virtual Network Editor in VMware Workstation Pro 12.5.

My question is:

Could you please provide a detail tutorial to configure 2 VMs to communicate with each other in VMware Workstation Pro 12.5 ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There should be no reason that you should be mucking with any IP settings in the virtual network editor.  If you want a guest-only network connection so the 2 VMs communicate only with each other and not the host or the outside world, just pick both VM's virtual NIC to use "custom" and the same (unused) VMnet.  Any IP settings should be done inside the guest OS.

user1234567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Folk,

VMPlayer 12.5 doesn't have Virtual Network Editor !

VMware Workstation Pro 12.5 does have Virtual Network Editor ! That's why I install it.

In order for 2 VMs to communicate with each other, the 2 VMs need to ping Host machine at first.

Then the 2 VMs need to ping each other as below:

In Host Windows 10:

C:\ ping VM1 IP Address;

C:\ ping VM2 IP Address;

In VM1 Windows XP:

C:\ ping Host IP Address ;

C:\ ping VM2 IP Address ;

In VM2 Oracle Linux 5:

C:\ ping Host IP Address;

C:\ ping VM1 IP Address;

You say in your post "There should be no reason that you should be mucking with any IP settings in the virtual network editor."

It seems that don't need Virtual Network Editor for 2 VMs to communicate with each other.

I have checked the 2 VMs, both don't have Virtual NIC !

I have set IP Address and network for the 2 VMs.

But I don't know where to set the IP address and network in Host Windows 10 using VMware Workstation Pro 12.5 or using VMPlayer 12.5.

My questions are:

1) Where is the Virtual NIC in Virtual Machine ?

2) Could you please tell me where to set IP and network in Host Windows 10 for 2 VMs to communicate either in VMware Workstation Pro 12.5 or in VMPlayer 12.5 ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In order for 2 VMs to communicate with each other, the 2 VMs need to ping Host machine at first.

Then the 2 VMs need to ping each other as below:

OK, so in your case you do not want a guest-only connection but also connected to the host, and outside world?  If you don't, then there is no reason the 2 VMs need to ping the host machine - they only need to ping each other!

I have checked the 2 VMs, both don't have Virtual NIC !

Well, that would be a big problem.  With the VM powered off, edit the VM properties.  Look at the virtual hardware.  If there is no NIC, then add one.  And in it's configuration, specify what type of connection it should use - bridged if you want it to see and be seen by the outside world; nat if you want it to see the outside world but not be seen by it; custom if you want a guest-only connection.

But I don't know where to set the IP address and network in Host Windows 10 using VMware Workstation Pro 12.5 or using VMPlayer 12.5.

You don't set the IP address in the host for the guest!  you set it in the guest.

If you use bridged or nat, then you should just accept/use the DHCP address in the guest.  If custom guest-only, just specify the same subnet mask and gateway in each guest, and pick two different IP addresses in that subnet to assign them.

user1234567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Folk,

I want the 2 VMs can connect with Internet and ping Host machine Windows 10 .

I choose VMnet8 (NAT).

I have checked my 2 VMs Settings > Hardware > Add > Hardware Type: There is no Virtual NIC. There is only Network Adapter.

I assume your "Virtual NIC" is the same with "Network Adapter". The Network Adapter has 5 types of connection as below:

1) Bridge

2) Host-Only

3) NAT

4) Custom: VMnet0 to VMnet19

5) LAN Segment

In my old computer Windows 7 using VMPlayer 3.0, VMnet1 and VMnet8 come up in Windows 7 Network Sharing Center. I configure VMnet8 (NAT) easily to enable 2 VMs to communicate with each other in Windows 7.

After I copied the 2 VMs into Windows 10 and use VMPlayer 12.5 or VMware Workstation Pro 12.5 in Windows 10, there is no VMnet1 and VMnet8 come up in Windows 10 Network sharing Center.

I click on Windows 10 > Control Panel > Change Adapter Settings: You are not connected to any network.

My questions are:

1) How to have VMnet1 and VMnet8 come up in Windows 10 Network Sharing Center for configure 2 VMs to communicate ?

2) Does "copying the 2 VMs into Windows 10 and don't create the 2 VMs originally in Windows 10" cause "VMnet1 and VMnet8 don't come up in Network sharing center" ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As far as I know, they should be there when you install Player (or Workstation).  If those adapters are not there, I'd re-install VMware Player - and make sure you run the Installer "As Administrator".

Copying / using existing created VMs should have no difference from creating brand new ones.  Think of virtual machines like Microsoft Word documents - you create them on one machine, and send/copy onto others.  Or just keep them on one machine.  Uninstalling Word then reinstalling it does nothing to your documents.  On a second computer, as long as a version of Word is installed which is new enough to recognize the document format/version, you will be able to open and read it.  Same thing with virtualization software to virtual machines.

user1234567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Folk,

There is a problem in Windows 10 Network sharing center as below:

Popup Window: Network Discovery is turn off. Network computers and devices are not visible. Please turn on Network Discovery in Network Sharing Center.

This issue possibly causes VMnet1 and VMnet8 don't come up in Network sharing center.

I click on Windows 10 > Network Sharing Center > Change Advanced Sharing Settings > Guest or Public Network Discovery:

O Turn On Network Discovery

O Turn Off Network Discovery

The 2 radios are in Grey color and cannot be checked.

My question is:

How to turn on "Network Discovery" in Windows 10 so that VMnet1 and VMnet8 come up ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
user1234567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Folk,

Hello. After I run the command below:

C:\Windows\system32\> netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Then restart Computer. Network Sharing Center > Change Advance Settings > Guest or Public

O Turn no Network Discovery

O Turn off network Discovery

Now, both items become black color and can be turned on. I have turned on Network Discovery.

File Explorer > Network: My computer name comes up and indicates "This computer is not connected to a network. Click to connect"

Control Panel > View Network Status and Tasks: empty. VMnet1 and VMnet8 don't come up here !

You say in your post that

When I install VMPlayer 12.5 or VMware Workstation Pro 12.5, I follow the installer step by step to do. No step indicates "Run As Administrator".

My questions are:

1) How to Install VMware Workstation Pro 12.5 or VMplayer 12.5 "Run As Administrator" ?

2) How to have VMnet1 and VMnet8 come up in "Control Panel > View Network Status and Task" ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
user1234567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Folk,

Hello.

Before reinstall VMware Player 12.5 or Workstation Pro 12.5 "Run As Administrator", simply right click on the install file "Run as Administrator" to install.

We need to uninstall both at first.

When I install Workstation Pro 12.5 into the computer, VMPlayer 12.5 is automatically uninstalled. I also delete its installed folder easily.

Now, the issue is that I cannot uninstall VMware Workstation Pro 12.5 in both ways as below:

First way: Log in Windows 10 as regular user MyName.

Control Panel > Programs and Features > VMware Workstation Pro 12.5, the program cannot "uninstall" and only can "Change".

Second way: Log in Windows 10 as Administrator. The result is the same:

Control Panel > Programs and Features > VMware Workstation Pro 12.5, the program cannot "uninstall" and only can "Change".

I have tired to delete its installed folder, both users MyName and Administrator come up the same error message:

"The Action cannot completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. Close the folder or file and try again."

I close all of programs and reboot the computer to delete its installed folder again but get the same error message as above.

My questions:

1) Why no "uninstall" in Control Panel for "VMware Workstation Pro 12.5" ?

2) How to solve the above issue to uninstall "VMware Workstation Pro 12.5" ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
user1234567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Folk,

Hello. We need to double-click on the install file .exe to remove the program.

VMware Workstation Pro 12.5 has been uninstalled successfully.

Let's end this thread. Thanks.

0 Kudos