VMware Communities
Iceburg66
Contributor
Contributor

How to access internet in 2nd guest from 1st guest mobile phone USB tethering

Hello,

Host - Windows 10 home - 64 bit currently with Workstation Player 12.5.9

1st Guest - Windows 7 Pro - 32 bit.                         2nd Guest - Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit.

I'm looking at upgrading to Pro 16 after studies are complete.

I have a 4 core laptop with dual monitors. 1st monitor is 1st guest with study websites etc.

I am setting up 2nd guest ( using 2nd monitor ) specifically as a programming environment which requires some direct installs ( no offline installer ).

I know I can connect and disconnect access directly to mobile phone USB tethering through removable devices drop down menu but would like dual access during setup and studies.

I understand the RNDIS driver is used by 1st guest to access internet through the phone ( I assume no host networks used ) and USB port hardware but how do i connect the 2 guest ( serial, vpn )?

Has anyone done this? Suggestions?
Cheers I

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

The easiest way is to setup access to Host. Most flexible setup for Guests is NAT networking. Then you have Internet access for all computers. Typically, I never use any direct access to Guests, because it really isn't necessary - the same applies to all USB devices.

NAT enables also access to Host (like file sharing through regular mounting), computers in Host network and from NAT computer to NAT computer (providing that they know each others ip-addresses ... a bit longer story, if interested, please ask for details).

0 Kudos
Iceburg66
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply RaSystemlord.

Yes, it is easy to connect through the host and use normal networks, but easy has many security issues.

The reason for a direct connection to the guest is to protect the Host ( host does not get internet access ). I don't use the Host anymore because my guests have all the setups I like.

With that in mind, can 2 guests connect together to share the USB mobile phone internet connection?

Regards I

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

OK, I see, it is a requirement in your case.

I would think that you can create a router from the first NAT VM and then connect into the networking of that computer with the second NT VM. You can also create your own virtual networking entirely, but I don't think that it is necessary.

I tried to google that, but couldn't find a matching page immediately for Windows 10. Back in the day, I created a router from a Linux computer. It of course depends on the OS of your VM, how to create a router out of it. It seems that a Linux googling returns immediately many links to this. Here is the first one (I haven't verified how good that is):

https://www.tecmint.com/setup-linux-as-router/

If not obvious, this isn't directly related to VMware, but to the OS of the VM.

0 Kudos