VMware Communities
glowwolf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to Install vmware-tools-linux-8.4.5-324285.i386.component.tar ?

I downloaded vmware-tools with a download manager  for linux because my Internet connection is unreliable and every time my connection drops i have to start over.

I have untared the file to vmware-tools-linux-8.4.5-324285-i386.component and descriptor.xml.

What commands do i need to run with or on them?

Do i need to put them some where in the host system?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My Host OS is Windows XP Sp3, Vmware-Player-3.1.3-324285, The Guest OS is Debian Squeeze with Lxde desktop.

My original reply in this thread is correct however for a Linux Host and that is not what you have and I assume you did since you downloaded the package for installing on a Linux Host.

Then you need to download tools-linux-8.4.5.exe.tar and untar it and then execute the resultant tools-linux-8.4.5.exe file on the Host.

I don't know what a FQP is.

I searched Vmware's folder theres no FQP in it.

FQP is the acronym for Fully Qualified Path or Fully Qualified Pathname and had this been a Linux Host you'd be searching for "vmware-installer".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In a Terminal:

sudo vmware-installer --install-component=vmware-tools-linux-8.4.5-324285-i386.component

This then brings up the Installer GUI and then you just follow the prompts.

0 Kudos
glowwolf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This didn't work.

sudo: vmware-installer: command not found.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What Host OS Product and Version are you using?

What VMware Product and Version are you using?

What Guest OS Product and Version are you using?

Its location may not be in the ${PATH} and will require using the FQP.  Have you tried searching the Host's Filesystem for the file?

glowwolf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My Host OS is Windows XP Sp3, Vmware-Player-3.1.3-324285, The Guest OS is Debian Squeeze with Lxde desktop.

Also I have installed build-essentials and kernel headers in linux.

Thanks for replying WoodyZ

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

My original reply in this thread is correct however for a Linux Host and that is not what you have and I assume you did since you downloaded the package for installing on a Linux Host.

Then you need to download tools-linux-8.4.5.exe.tar and untar it and then execute the resultant tools-linux-8.4.5.exe file on the Host.

FQP is the acronym for Fully Qualified Path or Fully Qualified Pathname and had this been a Linux Host you'd be searching for "vmware-installer".

0 Kudos
glowwolf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was afraid I would do something like that.

Sure seems backwards though.

I'm downloading the one you made the link to now.

Thank you WoodyZ

0 Kudos
glowwolf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finished downloading and installing the file you linked WoodyZ it worked like a charm.

The exe makes a ISO in vmware players install folder.

Many thanks WoodyZ

0 Kudos