VMware Communities
RamanGupta16
Contributor
Contributor

How to Configure Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 5

I have downloaded VMPlayer and running the Ubuntu image Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 5 on it as Virtual Machine. But I am not able to install any package or configure the network address, since I don't have the root password. How to do that? Can I get the root password for it?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

Raman....you can get into single user mode ....and reset the password for root.....

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

RamanGupta16
Contributor
Contributor

Can u elaborate it a bit more on how to do this...I think First I shud know root password b4 changing it...

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

By default, Ubuntu does not HAVE a root password. You use su and sudo to elevate yourself temporarily to root priveliges. Use your user's password.

Robert

0 Kudos
RamanGupta16
Contributor
Contributor

I tried using su but got "Authentication Failure" with the vmplanet user's password, and cud not get thru...

Do I need to create a seprate user account.?

0 Kudos
dlpotter
Contributor
Contributor

To execute a root level command/program use

sudo "command"

...the system will ask for your user password (not the root password , as noted previouslt no root passowrd is set.)

If you use: sudo su

you will be asked for your user password and will then have a root session (equivalent of su).

0 Kudos