VMware Communities
tjc6
Contributor
Contributor

How do you change ungrab hotkeys

I am running vmplayer 3.1 on Ubuntu 10.4, and want to change the key combination that releases the mouse. I found an article in the archives that said to modify the /etc/vmware/config file by adding the following lines:

pref.hotkey.shift = "TRUE"

pref.hotkey.control = "TRUE"

pref.hotkey.alt = "TRUE"

Found in article : http://communities.vmware.com/message/328738

This has not worked for me. Even with this change CTRL + Alt will ungrab the mouse. This was the only method I could find and it was in an discussion from 2006. Not sure if this was changed in the newer releases of vmplayer, or if anyone has a better way of accomplishing this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
tjc6
Contributor
Contributor

By testing with VMWorkstation which has a nice gui to configure this setting, I found that these lines go in the preferences file found in ~/.vmware/preferences. Since ctrl and alt are true by default adding the line pref.hotkey.shift = "true" will make ctrl + alt + shift ungrab the mouse. This also works with VMPlayer even though there is no gui to change the setting. Switching them all to false will make it so you cannot ungrab the mouse using hotkeys. You can set any combination of control, alt, shift and windows, to be your base hotkey combo that will ungrab the mouse.

As far as I can tell these are the only keys you can use. Does anyone know how to use other keys such as backspace, enter, etc...?

0 Kudos