VMware Communities
AbeG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I assign a subnet on VMPlayer 4.0?

I followed this tutorial on how to extrac the network editor which is not installed by default:

http://www.technazgul.com/2011/01/advanced-network-configuration-using.html

The issue I'm running into is that the version for VMPlayer 4 has a lot less features compared to the old version and I'm not sure how to assign a subnet to a VM.  Here's a screenshot of what the interface looks like on my test network:
Capture.PNG
I'm trying to simulate a network with two domain controllers located in different sites which are connected by a slow WAN link.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If I understand this correctly, you want to assign an individual VMnetX to your VM. With VMware Player you need to do this by editing the VM's .vmx file manually (see e.g. Re: Multiple NICs and vmnetcfg not working correctly)

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If I understand this correctly, you want to assign an individual VMnetX to your VM. With VMware Player you need to do this by editing the VM's .vmx file manually (see e.g. Re: Multiple NICs and vmnetcfg not working correctly)

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Discussion moved from VMware Workstation to VMware Player

0 Kudos
AbeG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you that worked!

But now I have another question.  After I made the change, I noticed that the interface now has a new option with a dropdown menu, though it's only for that particular VM.  Is there a master file somewhere that I can edit so that any subnets I create show up in the dropdown menu for new VMs that I create?

Here is a screenshot of what I mean:

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is there a master file somewhere that I can edit so that any subnets I create show up in the dropdown menu for new VMs that I create?

No.

Also, if you want to use VMnet1 then just use Host-only.   You only need to use custom in the .vmx file for VMnet2~7 and or 9.

0 Kudos