VMware Communities
Dinty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hosting a server using NAT on Player

I am trying to host a Sharepoint test instance on VMPlayer using the NAT network setting.

It appears that Workstation has the ability to modify the NAT/Firewall settings used by VMWare but I can not find similar settings for Player.

Can anyone help me with the right settings?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you look for vmnetcfg.exe which is missing because a bug in the vmplayer setup -
run the vmplayer setup again from a cmd like this

vmware-player*.exe /e tempdir

find network.cab in tempdir and extract it
copy vmnetcfg.exe to the player install dir

by the way - the NAT service is not very stable - I would not want to use it for an important service

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dinty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry. Left out that the host OS is XP. Maybe something routing-wise I could do there?

0 Kudos
Dinty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I looked at this thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/228975

But I can not find vmwarenetconfig.exe. I do see vmnat.exe but double clicking it and running it from the prompt gives no response.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you look for vmnetcfg.exe which is missing because a bug in the vmplayer setup -
run the vmplayer setup again from a cmd like this

vmware-player*.exe /e tempdir

find network.cab in tempdir and extract it
copy vmnetcfg.exe to the player install dir

by the way - the NAT service is not very stable - I would not want to use it for an important service

0 Kudos
Dinty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked for finding the NAT configuration. I am going to hold off though on implementing due to the stated stability issue though until I absolutely must.

I also need to expand my VM in Player 3.1 but can not find vmware-vdiskmanager. Is it hiding in a .cab as well?

0 Kudos
Dinty
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nevermind. I found it within Player. The capability is native now thus no need for command line instructions.

0 Kudos