VMware Communities
bmcclint
Contributor
Contributor

Host-Only Networking - What am I missing...

I have an Vista x64 host and XP x86 guest configured for host-only networking. Both can ping each other and their respective local adapter addresses. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to map a shared drive in the guest XP from host Vista.

Vista(host)...VMnet1 address is 192.168.150.1

XP(guest)...Network adapter (vmxnet driver) address is 192.168.150.128

From host...

ping 192.168.150.1 has replies

ping 192.168.150.128 has replies

From guest...

ping 192.168.150.128 has replies

ping 192.168.150.1 has replies

From host...

Start->Run
192.168.150.128 -> network unreachable

Start->Run
192.168.150.128\share -> network unreachable

From guest...

Start->Run
192.168.150.1 -> network unreachable

From host...

CMD: net use z:
192.168.150.128\share -> netowrk unreachable

I am missing something simple here I suspect...

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Try using the following syntax and then enter the XP_User_Account_Name_Password when prompted.

NET USE Z: \\IP_Address\Share_Name /USER:XP_User_Account_Name

0 Kudos
bmcclint
Contributor
Contributor

Never gets prompted.

System error 59 has occured.

An unexpected network error occured.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

...I am missing something simple here I suspect...

Thoughts?

Firewalls on both guest and host? (I'm assuming they're off since you can PING, but just to confirm.) Have you rebooted guest and host? (Not just sleep/suspend, but full reboot.)

0 Kudos
bmcclint
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah...full reboots on both. No firewall on guest but one running on host I cannot control. That's my only guess. This system is so restrictive clicking the mouse asks for confirmation. My guess is its a limitation of my environment. So be it...

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

...No firewall on guest but one running on host I cannot control. That's my only guess....

So to confirm: the host's firewall is disabled or not? You say you're not able to control. Does that mean you're not logged on as an administrative user? Or that this is a company laptop and there's a policy in place where you can't disable the firewall (or check the firewall.) Or other?

...This system is so restrictive clicking the mouse asks for confirmation....

Sounds like you have User Account Control enabled. (UAC) Can you disable it? (Assuming you're not restricted by company policy, etc.) I think disabling UAC will require a reboot.

0 Kudos
bmcclint
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah its a corporate system that I have limited access to. Don't worry about it I went another direction and achived what I set out to do. I'm still assuming a firewall issue on the host and nothing I can do...

0 Kudos