VMware Communities
gemini67
Contributor
Contributor

Ho my log!

Hi,
I've been using Vmware Workstation Player 1x with Windows 98 SE hosted on a Windows 10 and I never ran into trouble.
Today, as I shift to Windows 11, I can't get to install Win98SE. On the third reboot it displays "The SHELL32.DLL missing" error.
I tried with Virtualbox but the Oracle produced the same error.
I think Windows 11 makes fun of me because the research finds more than 5 shell32.dll in the system.

On Hyper-V I got a Windows Protection error.
Also I have to say that I made an ISO of my w98se cdrom for my laptop lacks of a dvd player while on Windows 10 I had one. I assume that physical difference may cause such error.
Anyway I fear that I'll have to leave my lovely applications from 1995 behind... it's a shame.
At least I've got a RTX with 16go ram and may play GTAV now!

I would like to find an issue from others experience though.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Not helping your problem of installing - but if you already have existing virtual machines, why are you trying to create/install brand new ones?  Just copy/move your existing ones to the Windows 11 PC and open them up.

0 Kudos
gemini67
Contributor
Contributor

You mean "Open an existing VM". It's even worth!

It was my first attempt. I had saved all my VM files (2go) but the envirronment is too much different.
So I tried to Create a VM with the result I explained ealier.

I found a tutorial about installing Win9x on Dosbox but it's fussy and I would prefer keeping VMware.

It's a wonder that Microsoft, while never omitting a single driver in their groundbreaking OS, has chosen to not implement its old applications architecture aside the new one. 

I think my old apps are 8bit or so but it's still Microsoft!

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

That doesn't make much sense.  I have virtual machines dating back to 2003 which still run fine.  I have a DOS virtual machine which runs in several places right now - on an old Windows XP laptop running Player 6.x, and newer laptops running Windows 10 and Workstation 15, and new surface books running Windows 10 and Workstation 16.  All running just fine.

There are issues with the Win98 setup, and you can read about some of them if you search this forum.  But again, unless you have some really unusual processor-specific stuff installed (usually for AMD), then your VM should run without issues.  You may need to tweak some things.  And personally I wouldn't upgrade the virtual hardware - if it's working, leave it alone.

0 Kudos
gemini67
Contributor
Contributor

I succesfully installed Win98 se on Winbox (frontend for 86Box).
A brand new VM yet old configuration Pentium 90mhz, S3, SB 16.

There Is no "Drag and drop files" feature from the host to the vm otherwise it's as easy as VMware to use.
My log are saved !

Farewell to VMware... I'm glad I didn't buy the individual license. 

0 Kudos