VMware Communities
_nobody_
Contributor
Contributor

Help needed: how to install VMware tools on Fedora-18-x86_64?

Hello,
Quick questions/use case to VMware Player community?
I was able to download Fedora-18-x86_64-DVD.iso (4.3 GB). It took me 3.5 hours to download it from Fedora mirror. Performed checking with sha256sum.exe. Then, I customized VMware Player 5.0.1 and configured VM Guest with proper parameters, Where image is located at C:\Users\nobody\Downloads\Fedora-18-x86_64-DVD.iso
Then, upon first start I installed/configured KDE (my preferred GFX environment) and all the R&D packages. Upon subsequent runs, I tried to install VMware Tools. Namely, when I go to player → Manage → install VMware tools it does NOT work/perform for me.
Questions:
[1] What should I do to successfully install VMware tools?
As I recall, on linux, a GUI request to install vmware tools results in a disk being mounted and if you are lucky a tar file being copied to your desktop. Then you must manually untar & install. I've not tried Fedora18 yet though.
[2] I see that mounting is failing. Should I unmount CD/DVD and configure CD?DVD differently?
[3] in which directory should .tar file be copied? ~/Downloads?
[4] Does VMware 5.0.1 fully support Fedora 18 Final Release?
[5] Do yoy know how I can do/configure VMware tools finding/loading .tar file from vmware.com specific location and bringing it inside Fedora 18 Guest using UCB Mass Storage device? Where I can find this .tar file independently and take care of this myself? :smileyconfused:
Thank you,
_nobody_
0 Kudos
1 Reply
_nobody_
Contributor
Contributor

Here are the steps which are solving this problem (found for by me):

[1] On the host, from the Workstation menu bar, select Player > Manage > Install VMware Tools did NOT work... Problem Statement!
Solution:
[2] From the Workstation menu bar, select Player > Removable Devices > CD/DVD(IDE) > Disconnect (make sure it ends up disconnected)
[3] From the Workstation menu bar, select Player > Removable Devices > CD/DVD(IDE) > Connect (make sure it ends up reconnected)
[4] Run the mount command with no arguments to determine whether your Linux distribution automatically mounted the VMware Tools virtual CD-ROM image. If the CD-ROM device is mounted, the CD-ROM device and its mount point are listed as something like this: /dev/cdrom on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev)
[5] If the VMware Tools virtual CD-ROM image is not mounted, mount the CD-ROM drive (suppose to be NOT mounted)
     [a] If a mount point directory does not already exist, create it (mkdir /mnt/cdrom)
     [b] Mount the CD-ROM drive (mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom)
[6] If you execute command: ls -al /mnt/cdrom you suppose to see (among others) something like this: VMwareTools-9.2.2-893683.tar.gz
[7] Copy VMwareTools-9.2.2-893683.tar.gz somewhere in your ~ directory
[8] Untar the VMware Tools tar file: tar zxpf ~/.../VMwareTools-9.2.2-893683.tar.gz, where <893683> is the build/revision number of the VMware Workstation release.
[9] Run the VMware Tools tar installer as root/superuser: cd vmware-tools-distrib, ./vmware-install.pl . Respond to the configuration questions on the screen. Press Enter to accept the default values (please, follow the installation process).
After the installation is done, exit root, power-off VM, and power-on again. VMware tools should be active! Smiley Wink

_nobody_

0 Kudos