VMware Communities
Contributor
Contributor

Help Appreciated: Win7 VM Looping Infinitely on Boot

I'm a noob, so I'm probably just being an idiot. I tried to create a Win7 VM, but after a few seconds of loading, Windows crashes, returns to the VMware startup, then boots up again. It repeats like this infinitely, and I have no idea what is going on.

I have attached a log.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Contributor
Contributor

bump

0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

I cannot deduct the log file, a real VMware Support probably could, but you could take a different approach. Do this in two stages for clarity.

Create VM first. Thus, do NOT try to load the operating system at this stage.

Check basic things from the VM, you can study it freely after creating it:

- VM has realistic memory allocation. Your physical computer still has a good amount of RAM for its use

- disk spaces are not overflowing. (You do not need to preallocate disk space). Define enough disk space to start with ... this is not something that can be changed easily afterwards (depending on several factors, perhaps it can). Use splitted files (handling a 40 GB single file is not good on your computer - if you really need it, then you already know what you are doing, like using Oracle in a heavy use).

- I trust that you did have something reasonable defined for disk space (like 60 GB for basic use, if you don't preallocate, or use a single file, it doesn't matter if that value is too much for your use. Don't put a minimum number there.)

At second stage, start installing the operating system:

- attach an iso file to CD and connect the CD-drive

- please observe that for instance a Dell OEM OS, does not allow the creation of a VM

- now power ON the VM

If the second stage fails, there is probably something wrong in the ISO image. Correct the situation or try with something else - you can get them from Internet for other OS'ses or whatever.

I hope this helps to analyze further.

0 Kudos
TheNostalgiaMas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So you say that it's Windows that crashes and it loops indefinitely. If that is the case, have you tried hitting F8 during startup and selecting "Disable automatic restart on system failure"? Because that could reveal a BSOD.

0 Kudos
Nighthawk326
Contributor
Contributor

This procedure is used when otherwise the VM would boot into a bluescreen type 7B.
This assumes that VMware is the target and you configure the VM with VirtualHardware type 7.
It only applies if the virtual disk is configured like this
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsisas1068"
scsi0:0.fileName = "imported.vmdk"

On the target platform boot the newly created VM into the Windows 7 Recovery CD.
After boot is finished click on the CMD-button and run regedit.
Select HKLM and then Menu > File > Load Hive.
Browse to the Windows-directory on the virtualdisk > system32\config and select the file SYSTEM.
When asked for a name enter p2v.
Then find the key

HKLM\p2v\ControlSet001\services\LSI_SAS

and set the start type to REG_DWORD 0
Then select HKLM\p2v and click Menu > File > Unload Hive.
You can close regedit now and restart.
On next boot you can start into the 2008 R2 system. It should find drivers and probably needs a reboot when done.

Copied from sanbarrow dot com / p2v2008r2 dot html

0 Kudos