VMware Communities
OMUET
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,Workstation Player and RDP

Hello,
I moved my workspace from physical to virtual solution : my desktop is now on a RDS Windows 2019 Server.

I found back all my softwares which are running fine.

But (as I awaited it) my VM Ware virtual machines cannot be ran in such an environment...

I even need them. Which solution do I have ?
I read many articles about this, but no solution.
I hop ethere is at least one !

Thanks in advance for your help.

Moderator edit by wila: Moved thread from VMware code to VMware Player discussions

0 Kudos
9 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So you want to use a Windows Server 2019 running RDS (which you're connecting to via RDP) and run Workstation Player on the RDS server?

Here's a list of the supported Host OSes: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2129859

No idea if it would work with RDS inside an RDP session though.

In any case, I've reported your post so that moderators are notified it should be moved to the correct area of VMTN for Workstation Player, the {code} area is for API/SDK matters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
OMUET
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot.
I wish I would find there any answers to my problem.

(no doubt Win2019 Srv is compatible with my Player v16).

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You haven’t given any indication as to what actually happens. You should know that only certain Windows applications are compatible with RDS. You also haven’t explained what your physical device is so that alternative solutions might be suggested.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
OMUET
Contributor
Contributor

I get this error when running my VMware VM on a RDS session :

OMUET_0-1617348143860.png

Therefore Hyper-V seems to be not installed :

OMUET_1-1617348996663.png

After that I get an access violation :

OMUET_2-1617349024497.png

Logs are attached as zip file.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help or advice.

0 Kudos
OMUET
Contributor
Contributor

In other words : Is it possible to run a VMware virtual machine into a Windows 2019 RDS (hyper-V) session ?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What has Hyper-V got to do with RDS?

And what is your physical device that you are using to access the RDS system? (In other words, what is stopping you from running your VMs on it?)

0 Kudos
OMUET
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using a Windows 10 Pro v20H2 computer to run my rds session.

But VMware talks me about Hyper-V ! Please take a look at the screen captures I did attach to the previous post.

And VMware prevents me from running my VMware VMs in my RDS session because of Hyper-V : that is what it says... While Hyper-V is not installed in my RDS session (take a lot at the other attached capture).

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

But what were you running VMware Workstation on before? (You mentioned in your initial post you had moved from physical to virtual)

I have no idea what the relationship between Hyper-V and RDS on Server 2019 might be - Google might help you with that.

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Microsoft Windows Servers with VMware Workstation should be software-aligned. The 0xc0000005 (access violation) correlates to the issue in https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/How-to-resolve-Workstation-Crash-vmui-Acces.... Might be worth to check windows patches and other installed sw inlcuding VMware plugins (Remote Console,VIX,...) as well. Afaik a while ago KB4522015 broke VMware workstation.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos