VMware Communities
TheManNextDoor
Contributor
Contributor

Having trouble starting VMware due to modules VMnet, and VMmon having trouble installing.

Info about my setup:

Kali V5.4.0, 8GB RAM, ZOTAC Graphics Card

Hello! So, I have been trying to install VMware Player on my Machine, but have been hit with one problem after another threw the whole installation process.

When ever I start VMware Player, it tells me it first needs to install some modules(VMnet, and VMmon) need to be installed first

Screenshot from 2020-02-28 09-53-50.png

That's all fine, but then it says it had trouble installing the modules and exits, and says to check the logs

Screenshot from 2020-02-28 09-54-00.png

first 100 lines of Log  /tmp/vmware-root/vmware-30354.log

VMware logs - Pastebin.com

So, I decided to try and install the modules from the command line directly, but got the same error with more info about it:

[Make] VMware error - Pastebin.com

It seems to me that the VMware code in the file /vmnet-only/userif.c

has multiple errors so it can't compile, but I'm not too sure what to do about it.

Any help would be appreciated! - Thanks

P.S Just so you guys know, I've already uninstalled, and reinstalled VMware Player, but it didn't fix the problem.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
dylancvwllc
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having issues with vmmon and vmxnet, too, on Ubuntu 20.04:

:~$ uname -a

Linux 5.4.0-37-generic #41-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 3 18:57:02 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The entire log (from sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all) wouldn't fit here, so I've posted it here: https://pastebin.com/EPxhp8BJ

0 Kudos