VMware Communities
edgex
Contributor
Contributor

Have the VM use a different network than the primary PC

My work has an Intranet LAN and an Internet LAN. Right now each desk has two PCs. A nice new Windows 7 box (i5, 4gb+ ram) and an old XP machine. Each desk is quipped with a KVM and the user has to switch between the networks depending on what they need to do.

What I would like to do (at least for myself) is put another NIC in my PC (usb/pcie adapter). I would then want to create a VM that connects exclusively to the Intranet side, while the primary PC connects exclusively to the Internet side. To be clear, the networks can not overlap, for security reasons. TBH I'm not even sure if this meets the security guidelines, but perhaps you could clue me into this as well, ensuring the public internet has no access to the internal intranet in the case of a security breach/hack.

Does this sound possible? Using either the built in XP Mode, or perhaps VMWare or the likes. Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'd suggest before you do anything you get the appropriate persons permission, the network administrator maybe, in the office/company to do what you're wanting to do and the come back once you have permission.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - Originally posted,  May 31, 2013 3:47 PM.

0 Kudos