VMware Communities
ilcaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hard Drive Capable of Hosting Could not be Found...

Untitled.png

i mouted an ISO in a Virtual drive for my guest OS VMMachine to boot from, its boots to the Virtual Drive, (i am trying to install Windows Home Server on VMMachine to test).  WHS installation window comes up but I get an error message

"Hard Drive capable of hosting Windows Home Server was not found, would you like to load additional drivers"

I tried adding another drive and I get the same message.  Any workaround to this issue?  i have a VM Machine running WIN7,

and I am attaching a pic of settings (2nd drive just added, same error, and the error)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... selected Windows Server 2003 ...

This will create a LSILogic SCSI disk. The way I did it (see my previous post) was to create the VM as a "Windows 98" VM and switch to Windows 2003 later, after the VM was created. This way the VM has an IDE disk.

It's up to you now to either follow my description from the previous post to create a VM with an IDE drive or use the procedure WoodyZ provided to be able to install on a SCSI disk. Both options should solve the installation issue.

Good Luck.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Which operating system did you select when you created the VM? Depending on your selection the virtual machine is configured with a SCSI controller that should work with that OS. If you are unsure, please attach the vmx file.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... it looks like the Windows Home Server requires at least an 80GB HDD.

André

0 Kudos
ilcaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks I installed Win 7 Pro as a VM Machine, everything works fine, I installed a couple of programs within the VMMachine as well, running like a normal computer would.  I created a virtual DVD which it boots too with no problems,  if you notice on the attached pic in the above post, the 1st drive is a SCSI drive.

her is the .vmx file attached, thanks for looking into it.  Also when i go to VM Seetings, and select Hard Drive (SCSI) in the disk information area it says "Disk space not preallocated for the hard drive"  could this be the reason for the error?

0 Kudos
ilcaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, you are correct, it does need 80gb,  i "Added" a new HD(SCSI) and made it 100, allocated it sapce immedietely and it is now creating the Disk,  i will reboot and hopefully this will solve the problem.  I will be back shortly...  thanks again

0 Kudos
ilcaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

same error message, here is an image , you see both HD, 2nd one preallocated 100MB,  error is same " HD capable of hosting Windows Home Server was not found. WOuld you like to load additional storage drivers"

0 Kudos
ilcaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100695...

"VMware supplies a special SCSI driver for virtual machines that are configured to use the BusLogic virtual SCSI adapter. Virtual machines do not need this driver if they do not need to access any SCSI devices or if they are configured to use the LSI Logic virtual SCSI adapter.

The driver is included as part of the VMware Tools package, and is also available for download from this download page. The driver can be used in Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, or Windows 2000, with certain limitations described below.  This article includes steps on how to install the driver. "

----I could not find Windows 7 drivers that are equivalent to the above (am I even on the correct track?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

same error message, here is an image , you see both HD, 2nd one preallocated 100MB,  error is same " HD capable of hosting Windows Home Server was not found. WOuld you like to load additional storage drivers"

No image attached however it really doesn't matter because100MB isn't going to cut it and it needs to be 80GB or higher and you really do not need to pre-allocate it.

I'd suggest using an IDE virtual hard disk.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Is it the "Windows 7 Home Server" you are using? In this case the requirements are higher. Create a new "Windows 2008 R2" VM with at least a 160GB HDD (doesn't need to be preallocated) and at least 2 GB RAM.

André

0 Kudos
ilcaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

my mistake, I did create 100GB, it is not Windows 7 based WHS, it usews Windows server 2003,

When I try and create a new HD, the only option it gives me are SCSI ,   IDE is greyed out and not available as a choice.   Is this because it is Win7 as Guest OS ?

Another way to create IDE Drive to test, or does VM have other SCSI drivers I could download and use?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can only create an IDE HDD on a new VM.

André

0 Kudos
ilcaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NO HD.PNG

the drama continues....

Using VM Player, there is no way to set your HD when you create a new VM.  It asks you to set the size and allocations, next screen is to customize hardware, and HD is not an option.

see attached

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

For me it works in the VMware Player to create a new "Windows 2003" VM. Then edit the settings, remove the virtual SCSI disk and create a new virtual IDE disk.

André

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I had no problem adding an IDE Hard Disk to an existing VM as shown in the image below.  Just delete the existing SCSI and add an IDE, it's not rocket science! Smiley Wink

IDE.png

0 Kudos
ilcaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

no ide.PNG

I Do not have access to IDE from my current VM,

the only option i have to add a new HD is SCSI.  IDE is greyed out,

So I decided to create a new VM,  BUT i do NOT get the option to choose what type of HD i want to use.  If I go to "customize hardware" it does NOT let me choose HARDDRIVE (please see last pic attached in last post)

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Looks like you selected "Windows 7" instead of "Windows 2003" as the operating system.

André

0 Kudos
ilcaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you both

I ended up NOT installing a OS on a new VM Machine and running it to the boot disk, i guess with no OS to start with it applies a IDE drive, because thats what happened. 

The result was an attempted installation of Windows Home Server and another error message...

"first HD is not suitable for installing WindowHomeServer, first drive must be connected to a SCSI, ATA or SATA disk controller,

the first disk found is connected to ATA".   It keep erroring no matter what drive is used.

I went back and tried with original SCSI  and the result was the first error i encountered.  "...SCSIDriver not found"

Maybe its a certain SCSI driver that is needed for WHS that runs off of Windows Server 2003 that I need to find and install..  Does the knowlodge base keep certain OS configurations that we can use with whatever special drivers are necessary for that OS, maybe i can start with that file and then install WHS..

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

OK, after downloading Windows Home Server from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=e3694b69-93f6-4267-b881-5... I created a new "Windows 98" VM with a 100 GB harddisk and then increased the memory to 1.5GB and changed the OS to Windows 2003 Standard. The Installations starts without any issues.

André

ilcaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks, i downloaded from your provided link, which is a newer version then the one I was working with, i set up a virtual Disk, created a new VM (install OS later), selected Windows Server 2003, 100GB HD, 1.5mgs, and it booted to the Virtual Disk, once it began installation, I received the same error message as before,

Hard Disk not capapable of WHS, would you like to install other drivers..

thanks for trying, if its working for you I cant fatham why it cant work for me

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Okay, using the same ISO Image from the link André provided and downloading the LSI53C1030 SCSI Driver for Windows Server 2003 from LSI's website I extracted the drivers and added the contents of the lsimpt_scsi_srv03_x86 folder to root of a virtual floppy image using WinImage I then attached the virtual floppy to the Virtual Machine so when it couldn't find a drive I pointed it to the floppy and selected the .inf file.  The install proceeded without a glitch.

Note: I did change the Boot Order in the BIOS to CD-ROM Drive, Hard Drive then Removable Devices so I could have the Floppy connected when starting the Virtual Machine and this is not absolutely necessary as you can connect it when needed however don't forget to disconnect it when the first reboot comes.

WHS_SCSI.png

0 Kudos