VMware Communities
Tyrram
Contributor
Contributor

HELP

why cant i get any help ?? where is "THE FORUM" where i can post and get questions answered ? I have no clue where i am right now. Do you ppl make it impossible to get help on purpose or by accident ? how do i get rid of old OS's im no longer using in the player ? how do i find the installation files or place on my host computer that the vmware OS's have been installed to ? but most importantly where can i get help with vmware player ? I just want a simple straight forward forum this VMware communities are impossible to navigate.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

1. It's hard to help if you don't provide the basic information: Host OS, Guest OS, Player version+build, etc.

2. You are IN the forum for VMware Player.

3. Have you read the documentation - Getting Started with VMware Player - available for download, linked from the web page you downloaded Player from (and also on the right hand side of this very forum)?

4. VM's are merely files to your host. If you're done using them, just delete the folder/files containing the VM.

5. Player does not have the ability to create VMs. You copy/install the VM files wherever YOU decide to. Noone here can tell you where YOU put your files...

0 Kudos
Tyrram
Contributor
Contributor

ok so, sry if i got off on the wrong foot m8 im just frusterated. if i delete the OS's ive created they wont be used by vm ware player ? but how do i get vm ware player to just stop using them ? i dont want to delete them. My host is vista ultimate x64, VM ware player version is 2.5.0 build-118166. and im running various linux, solaris, mac, and windows inside the player. One problem is with a vista vm i cant get online and it says its missing drivers. So I want to install the drivers from my host or from my hosts cd or flash or usb drive but i can get access to any part of my host. The vmware net adapter is working. When i go to conect one of my big usb drives that has the drivers it doesnt show in my computer. if i connect a flash drive it says it can perform faster then wont show in my computer. and when i go to cd in my computer all it shows is the os cd i installed it from. I mounted an image earlier and thats what it shows. I unmounted all drives except my real one and put the drivers on a cd but ot wont see anything but the one i mounted before. So im at a lose as to what to do next. i was omline with this vm a while ago but i got knocked off somehow so i reset and even reinstalled the os. Thats why i want to get to the installations files or to where it is on my host so i can put the drivers in there on host then access them in the player.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

I don't know what you mean when you ask "how do i get vmware player to just stop using them" referring to your existing virtual machines. How do you get Microsoft Word to "stop using" your resume, or any other document you've created with Word?

The drivers in/for the VM are for the virtual hardware, NOT your host's hardware. Many of them are contained in the VMware Tools package - available with Workstation, Server, etc. Since Player does not have creation capabilities, the Tools are not included - it is assumed that the author of the virtual machine would/should have installed them.

You can use my VMX Builder application to create and edit your VM - see my profile for website.

Lots of questions here - too many to answer in one big post.

0 Kudos
Tyrram
Contributor
Contributor

ok i know whats wrong now its the vm os im running i kinda made it myself from an ISO and its a beta version of windows seven (or so they say ) but i dont understand why i got online before now its suddenly "missing" drivers where did they go ? Whayt i mean by removing OS's in the main window of the vm ware player there is a list of recent virtual machines all i want to do is remove some from the list I also would like to rename them. check the shot i uploaded i want to remove 1 and rename the other red circled ones. I will check ur blog i got it booked and thx for the help btw.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Ahh - the recent/favorites list are, I believe, in the preferences.ini file. Don't know where this is hidden on Vista hosts. On XP hosts, it's in C:\Documents and Settings\<userid>\Application Data\VMware.

Not sure why you'd have a VM get online then later not. The virtual NIC should be an Intel e1000 card, and drivers should be on the Vista and newer Install media.

0 Kudos
Tyrram
Contributor
Contributor

ok i found it in vista its essentially in the same place except you have to "take ownership" of documents and settings in vista or else access will be denied even for administrator -C:\Documents and Settings\Romulus\Application Data\VMware - so now if i edit this preferences.ini with an editor i can remove recent OS's ? Is this s correct ?

0 Kudos
Tyrram
Contributor
Contributor

OK that works i was able to remove all the unwanted os's. But i still need to know how to access files and drives and usb flash drives on my host from the vm ? is it possible ?

0 Kudos