VMware Communities
peternn
Contributor
Contributor

HD resolution full screen guest on UHD resolution host - possible?

Hi,

I have a laptop with UHD screen - native resolution 3840 x 2160.

Host is Win10 x64 Pro, guest is Win7 x64 Pro.

Inside the guest I have software that can't be used on high-resolution screens (Siemens TIA Portal).
So I need the guest to have HD (1920 x 1080) resolution, but to keep the native 3840 x 2160 resolution of the host.

Is that possible?

If I reduce the host resolution to 1920 x 1080 , the guest looks OK - but the host does not.
If I keep the host at 3840 x 2160, and reduce the guest resolution to 1920 x 1080 - the guest becomes small, takes only 1/4 of the screen.

So is it somehow possible to keep the high resolution for the host and see the guest in full screen with 1920 x 1080 resolution?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Presumably you are using VMware Workstation to run the VM - Pro or Player?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
peternn
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to mention that.

I'm using VMWare Workstation player 16.0

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Please start threads in the area for the product you are using - thread moved to the Workstation Player area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

To answer your question, I don't think that is possible with Workstation Player - it's called "stretching" and I think it's only a feature of Workstation Pro.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I can confirm what Scott said (just verified this for the latest released Workstation and Player versions).

The stretch feature is only available for Workstation Professional, not for Player.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
peternn
Contributor
Contributor

After a bit of digging, I found how to do it in another forum post.

It may be available only in Pro as a GUI option, but can be done in Player as well.

Open

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\VMware\preferences.ini

Add the following line:

pref.autoFitFullScreen = "stretchGuestToHost"

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Yes, I am aware of that.

But as it is a specific feature for Workstation Professional I'm not personally offering that as a workaround.

Note that VMware can take away that feature from Player any time they so desire.

It works, but -as you can guess- is totally unsupported in Player.

As a feature it is only supported in Workstation Professional.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos