VMware Communities
dominicus
Contributor
Contributor

Guest display split into identical panes

I have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS linux running in a VMWare Player 6 VM, in a Win7 host.

This install has been stable for >2yrs, but after some Ubuntu updates today, my screen now boots into 3 repeated and truncated panes.  See bottom of msg for how the display shows.

I found this VMWare KB article that describes the issue, but I'm unsure this applies to Player6:

VMware KB: Linux Guest Display Splits into Multiple Panes with Identical Content

I had installed VMWare Tools using the Player controls, but running the prescribed command in Ubuntu terminal:

sudo vmware-config-tools.pl --overwritesvga

....doesn't do anything, just gets me to the man pages for this config package.

Help appreciated!  I'm unable to use this VM as is.

Ubuntu_12.04_.PNG

30 Replies
vmtester602
Contributor
Contributor

Just for information, I have the same "split screen" issue on Ubuntu 14.04 VMs created with an old version of VMware Player (Workstation 6.5-7.x virtual machine / virtualHW version 7) :

I have the split "screen issue" with kernels :

- linux-image-3.13.0-29-generic

- linux-image-3.13.0-30-generic

It works fine with kernels :

- linux-image-3.13.0-24-generic

- linux-image-3.13.0-27-generic

Thanks a lot for your help Thomas and Chris !

0 Kudos
rojer9
Contributor
Contributor

i can confirm that upgrading VM hardware version (7 to 10 in my case) solves the problem.

thanks Thomas and Chris!

0 Kudos
vmtester602
Contributor
Contributor

On my side, remedies 1 and 2 solve the problem, but a patch would be welcome (if it's possible) Smiley Wink

Thanks again !

0 Kudos
Gork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm on Workstation v7.1.6 running vm hardware version 7.  I'm unable to upgrade because newer versions of Workstation won't run on WinXP-32.  It sounds like my only option is "Remedy 2."  I'm concerned that this might cause unforeseen problems later on and I won't be smart enough to figure out what the problem is.  If I understand your explanation, though, it doesn't sound like it, unless I forget about all this and end up upgrading this license of WS later along with the vm hardware version.

0 Kudos
thellstrom
Contributor
Contributor

Actually I would consider "Remedy 2" the safest option for workstation 7 even if we release a patch in the future. IMO, that's how the guest OS should have been set up at installation time.

Thanks,

Thomas

Gork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks.  And just for the record, "Remedy 2" worked perfectly for me.

0 Kudos
Engeeaitch
Contributor
Contributor

And for me, Remedy 1b is working fine:

VMware Player 6.0.3, Ubuntu 12.04 Kernel version 3.2.0-65 generic

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
TAJ57
Contributor
Contributor

Spent hours trying to get this resolved and ran across your post.  Applied the change to vmwgfx enable_fbdev=0 and worked like a charm.  Thanks.

Tim

0 Kudos
hathanhle
Contributor
Contributor

I had same problem with VMware Workstation 9 (on Windows 7). It happened when I upgraded Ubuntu 12.04 to 14_.

When I found this thread, I followed Thomas' Remedy 2 and IT WORKS LIKE CHAMP!

Thank you very much, Thomas!

0 Kudos
thellstrom
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

A permanent workaround for this problem has been released with xf86-video-vmware 13.1.0

Thanks,

Thomas

0 Kudos
stlengr
Contributor
Contributor

Tried Remedy 2 first, that did not work.

Remedy 1 worked but I had left Remedy 2 fix in place.

VMware Player 6.0.7 build-2844087

Host OS: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit 6.1.7601, Service Pack 1

Guest: Linux ubuntu 3.2.0-77-generic #114-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 10 17:26:03 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

jd

0 Kudos