VMware Communities
FM94
Contributor
Contributor

Guest (XP) to host (Win7) internet sharing

Hello,

I have VMWare player 3.1.4, and an XP SP3 virtual machine in a Windows 7 home premium host, And I have a modem that only works with XP, so I can access the internet only from XP. What I want is to share the internet from the guest (XP) to the host (Win7) so that I can use Win7 to access the internet !
Any help would be really really appreciated Smiley Happy !
Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Search the forums here for "transparent bridge" if I remember correctly.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have a modem that only works with XP, so I can access the internet only from XP

The term "modem" is ambiguous it the context of your question as there are different types of modems and could be connected to the Guest in different manners, of which could change the directions on how to accomplish Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).  So you need to be a bit more explicit and specific otherwise Google is your friend. Smiley Wink

With the Host and Guest both being Windows you can either use ICS or use a program like CCProxy however without the specifics of your configuration I'm not going to waste time covering all the possible scenarios.

0 Kudos
FM94
Contributor
Contributor

Robert D. Petruska wrote:

Search the forums here for "transparent bridge" if I remember correctly.

I'll try to search for that, thanks for the help Smiley Happy !

0 Kudos
FM94
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ wrote:

I have a modem that only works with XP, so I can access the internet only from XP

The term "modem" is ambiguous it the context of your question as there are different types of modems and could be connected to the Guest in different manners, of which could change the directions on how to accomplish Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).  So you need to be a bit more explicit and specific otherwise Google is your friend. Smiley Wink

With the Host and Guest both being Windows you can either use ICS or use a program like CCProxy however without the specifics of your configuration I'm not going to waste time covering all the possible scenarios.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention the details about my modem, It is a usb modem & to be exact it's an Axesstel AXW-D1900 ( a dial-up internet access).

I'm in desperate need for help so thanks a lot Smiley Happy !
Now that I gave you the specifics of my configuration, I hope you'll be able to give a more specefic solution !
Thanks in advance !

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

it's an Axesstel AXW-D1900 ( a dial-up internet access).

Is this what you have, AXW-D800 / AXW-D1900 CDMA 1xEVDO Wireless Broadband Modem User Manual?

0 Kudos
FM94
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ wrote:

it's an Axesstel AXW-D1900 ( a dial-up internet access).

Is this what you have, AXW-D800 / AXW-D1900 CDMA 1xEVDO Wireless Broadband Modem User Manual?

That's exactly it.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Okay, so when you want to connect to the Internet what do you?  In other words do you have to run a specific application and input account name and password or is it automatic when you bring up a Browser, etc., etc?  What do you have under Network Connections in Control Panel in Windows XP?   (A screen shot in Details View might be helpful.)

Where I'm going with this is I want to see if there is a connection for the device in question that has the ability to enable ICS on it.

0 Kudos
FM94
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ wrote:

Okay, so when you want to connect to the Internet what do you?  In other words do you have to run a specific application and input account name and password or is it automatic when you bring up a Browser, etc., etc?  What do you have under Network Connections in Control Panel in Windows XP?   (A screen shot in Details View might be helpful.)

Where I'm going with this is I want to see if there is a connection for the device in question that has the ability to enable ICS on it.

No, I use no application to access the internet, I've set up the connection with winXP, And yes this device enables ICS (I have tried sharing it with two PCs (XP & Win7) ), here are some screenshots...

http://i.imgur.com/CsMWG.png

http://i.imgur.com/zDjB1.png

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy !

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I finally had time to look at the User Manual and I saw nothing that word stop you from connecting directly to the Host via Ethernet, configure the Router in the Modem and then be able to have multiple systems receive IP Address from it.

So my question to you is why are you using USB vs Ethernet and why do you not configure the Host to connect directly and then use NAT on the Guest?  Also from what I could tell in the User Manual you do not even need to setup a connection in the OS as the Modem is capable of storing and using the account information and validating the connection from it not the OS.

Otherwise either configure/enable ICS and use it or use a program like CCProxy.

0 Kudos
FM94
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ wrote:

I finally had time to look at the User Manual and I saw nothing that word stop you from connecting directly to the Host via Ethernet, configure the Router in the Modem and then be able to have multiple systems receive IP Address from it.

So my question to you is why are you using USB vs Ethernet and why do you not configure the Host to connect directly and then use NAT on the Guest?  Also from what I could tell in the User Manual you do not even need to setup a connection in the OS as the Modem is capable of storing and using the account information and validating the connection from it not the OS.

Otherwise either configure/enable ICS and use it or use a program like CCProxy.

Simply because I have lost the installation and could not find it on the internet except the OS driver (for win XP & vista only, no win7), And the only thing that's preventing me from using a program like CCProxy is: I could not set the local network correctly (from guest to host & vice versa), so some help would definitely be appreciated !

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I think you missed the point I was trying to make and that is if you use Ethernet you do not need drivers and you can connect directly to the Host for Internet Connectivity as the Modem is capable of maintaining the user Account and Password and doing the handshake to make the connection and then the Virtual Machine can be configured to use NAT and it too will have Internet Connectivity. Smiley Wink

Have you read the User Manual?

0 Kudos
FM94
Contributor
Contributor

I understand exactly what do you mean, and I have read the manual, the thing is I can't access the web based modem's configuration (at 192.168.0.1), so I can't configure the modem or access the internet with it without using it's driver !
I hope I made myself clear...
So I think the last hope is using a program like CCProxy ? but as I've understood from it's manual, it requires the local network to be set correctly, and I have a problem with that Smiley Sad
I'm sorry if I took a lot of your time, am not really good with networking ...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You do not need drivers when using Ethernet and if the Ethernet port on the Modem does not have a cross-over switch or is not auto-sensing and or you do not have a hub/switch between the Modem and the PC then you need to use a CAT5 cross-over cable not a straight-through (or normal) CAT5 cable in order for the Modem and PC to properly directly communicate with each other.

0 Kudos