VMware Communities
Nowhere20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Grub Loading Stage 1.5 - Error 17

Hi all,

I have VMWare player on windows7 and i waw playing ubuntu8.10 on Vmware. All ok until I did something wrong and at reboot I have Grub Loading Stage1.5 ...error 17.

Could someone help me to solve? It's very urgent to me and very important to not loose what I installed on Ubuntu Smiley Sad

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have VMWare player on windows7 and i waw playing ubuntu8.10 on Vmware. All ok until I did something wrong and at reboot I have Grub Loading Stage1.5 ...error 17.

What is it that you did?  BTW This really isn't a VMware issue per se and you need to troubleshoot/fix it just as if it was a physical machine.

very important to not loose what I installed on Ubuntu Smiley Sad

If you're talking about User Data, have you not been backing it up off of the Virtual Machine on an ongoing and regular basis as you should!?

You can and probably should make a copy of the Virtual Machine before attempting to repair GRUB.

Also you should be able to boot from a Live Ubuntu OS ISO Image in an attempt to both recover User Data and or repair GRUB.

Nowhere20111014
Contributor
Contributor

What is it that you did?  BTW This really isn't a VMware issue per se and you need to troubleshoot/fix it just as if it was a physical machine.

I did "sudo fsck"...at reboot I got that error.

If you're talking about User Data, have you not been backing it up off of the Virtual Machine on an ongoing and regular basis as you should!?

No, I didn't...what a stupid!

I think it's not a isn't a VMware issue because I opened a new virtual machine from my starting image and it starts. I tried to substitute vmdk files from not working Virtual machine and it fails also.

You can and probably should make a copy of the Virtual Machine before attempting to repair GRUB.

Also you should be able to boot from a Live Ubuntu OS ISO Image in an attempt to both recover User Data and or repair GRUB.

Could you show me how proceed to repair grub? Is necessary a Live Ubuntu OS ISO?

Thanks for your answer, as you see I'm a newbie and I have not idea how proceed.

0 Kudos
Nowhere20111014
Contributor
Contributor

I tried several procedures like this one http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2005/11/how-to-repair-corrupt-mbr-and-boot.html both using Ubuntu Live than Knoppix, but when I do "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt" It says me to indicate the partition file system and don't accept any ext2/3/4.

Any hints?

0 Kudos