VMware Communities
rockpowwer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Getting "The system cannot find the file specified" when trying to expand hard disk

Hi,

I was wondering where I could start looking for a solution to this error.

I got "The system cannot find the file specified" when trying to expand hard disk.

Move the VM to a larger drive to allow for expansion to work and got this error. Now moved it back and still getting this error, while previously it would say not enough space to perform an expand.

Sorry if I am not posting this in the correct board.

Any help is appreciated

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rockpowwer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I looked in the main folder where the VM is located.

Current setup is that the large vmdk file is in one folder, then on that folder's same level, there is another folder that contains all the rest of the files. In that folder, there is only one smaller vmdk file that seems to be binary as opening it in Notepad++ it shows a lot of NULs. So I am not sure where to look for some path to update it or what is missing. I feel that I am missing more here..

Attached is how the folders are setup now. 

I've also found a preferences.ini file under my user's AppData / Roaming / VMwre folder, but not sure if that has something that needs to be looked at.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Which VMware product does this relate to?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please check if the VM's folder contains all of the required .vmdk files.

By default there's one small <vmname>.vmdk descriptor file, and multiple <vmname>-s0xx.vmdk data files. All of the files that are listed in the descriptor file need to be present, as they make up the virtual disk.

André

0 Kudos
rockpowwer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using VMware Workstation 12 Player. 

Please let me know if there is any additional information I could include

0 Kudos
rockpowwer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I looked in the main folder where the VM is located.

Current setup is that the large vmdk file is in one folder, then on that folder's same level, there is another folder that contains all the rest of the files. In that folder, there is only one smaller vmdk file that seems to be binary as opening it in Notepad++ it shows a lot of NULs. So I am not sure where to look for some path to update it or what is missing. I feel that I am missing more here..

Attached is how the folders are setup now. 

I've also found a preferences.ini file under my user's AppData / Roaming / VMwre folder, but not sure if that has something that needs to be looked at.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sorry, but I'm afraid that I can't help you in this case.

Running MacOS on non Apple branded hardware violates their EULA, and thus also the Community Terms of use.

From Apple's EULA:

"The grants set forth in this License do not permit you to, and you agree not to, install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so."

André

Moderator note: This discussion will be locked.

0 Kudos