VMware Communities
FlemmingK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Getting files in and out from a VM running DOS

Hi

I have installed DOS 6.22 on a virtual machine.

It seems that the only way I can get files into the virtual disk (or out from it) is to use a diskette.

I've got too much SW and data to do this.

Please advise.

FlemmingK

0 Kudos
14 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi FlemmingK

Welcome to the forums.

The solution will depend whether you need the VM to be running during the file transfer or not.

If you can stop the VM, then attach its virtual disk to another VM, for example an XP machine, which will copy the files. Then attach it back to the DOS VM and start it with the files loaded.

Otherwise, you can install a TCP/IP stack inside your VM with the network card driver. Look for such references in the knowledge base, you should find some solutions.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
DuncanArmstrong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That would probably be the easiest method. However you can also consider boot disks which include the functionality:

Bart's modular boot disk: http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/modboot/

NetBootDisk http://netbootdisk.com/

Or my favorite - the Ultimate Boot CD: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/news.html

Hope that helps.

FlemmingK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Frank

What I need is indeed some network driver, but then I believe it would have to be a driver for the Vmware virtual network adapter.

I searched the KB but found nothing.

I hope that Vmware has it.

Regards

FlemmingK

0 Kudos
FlemmingK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Duncan.

Do these boot disks have a driver for the Vmware virtual network adapter? Or which drivere do you use?

Do you thing that I could extract the driver from one of these disks and just use it in my virtual DOS machine?

Regards

FlemmingK

0 Kudos
DuncanArmstrong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I believe Bart's Network Boot Disk as well as the Ultimate Boot CD should have the required drivers.

NetBootDisk also has specific Intel Pro 1000 support (see second screenshot and Supported Cards pages): http://netbootdisk.com/screens.htm

Something to mention is that these free utilities should generally be using FreeDOS instead of MS-DOS, so try not to be surprised. Other than these? Maybe the DOS 6.22 supplemental boot disks from Microsoft include the required networking utilities, but you'll still need to obtain the network adapter driver if the above don't help.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I hope that Vmware has it.

VMware does not provide the DOS Networking Drivers and I looked this morning at AMD's website for what used to be the official link (http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/dos_mslanman.exe) however I got an access denied and when I searched AMD's website just for AMD PCNet or dos_mslanman.exe I got no where.

BTW What is your Host OS?

0 Kudos
FlemmingK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Woody

Host OS is Windows XP.

Now I just wondered if I don't need VMWARE tools to get networking

operative? And then there is no VMWARE tools for DOS.

Is the whole idea hopeless?

Regards

flemmingK

0 Kudos
DuncanArmstrong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VMware Tools is not required for virtual machine networking, so you're not out of luck; don't worry about the lack of VMware-Tools for DOS.

Consider this: How would PXE boot work without Tools for any virtual machine? This is shortly after POST, long before drivers are being loaded.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I have installed DOS 6.22 on a virtual machine.

DOS! well how soon we forget, you can install Windows for Workgroups if you are going to do that, and use network to copy files. Of course for that matter you can boot a Linux Live CD and mount the dos disk and transfer files.

There are still alternatives. What I want to know is why DOS, most OS of the modern era can do the SAME thing in a command prompt..............

FlemmingK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Duncan

Thanks for the advice.

I'll look into PEX boot.

Regards

FlemmingK

0 Kudos
FlemmingK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sure i'll try WFW. I do, however, remember one old DOS machine which I

couldn't get to work that way. Probably lack of correct driver. Also WFW may

not have the proper driver for VMWARE.

Why use DOS:

I have two applications that never worked under any 32 bit OS. The first is

an 8080 emulator. I didn't get any screen output.

Neither with VMWARE 5.1. Now I tried again with VMWARE 7, and it works

beautifully, but then VMWARE Play is much cheaper.

The second is Schema, a graphical electronics diagram editor. In this app

the pan function was ways to fast on 32 bit OS. Running this app in pure DOS

on faster machine also shows the same symptom, so my next question will

probably be how to slow down VMWARE or VMWARE Play.

Regards

FlemmingK

0 Kudos
DuncanArmstrong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Er, that was not quite a recommendation; just an example.

Go with a boot CD of sorts. And yes, a very user-friendly way of doing it is in Ubuntu Linux, funnily enough. It handles SMB/CIFS share access out of the box in the Live CD, but gives you much more of a friendly GUI to work in, than a boot disk.

0 Kudos
FlemmingK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear Rparker

I got WFW 3.11 installed.

Which network adapter would be compatible with the virtual network adatper?

Regards

FlemmingK

0 Kudos
FlemmingK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear RParker

I installed WFW 3.11.

I found in the Vmware help file that the virtual adapter equals an Intel PRO 1000 MT server adapter or an AMD PCNET PCI adapter

I found the DOS driver for the Intel adapter and installed it.

See in the picture what I get!

Is there any hope?

No DOS drivers for the AMD adapter.

Regards

FlemmingK

0 Kudos