VMware Communities
Leaskovski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Full Screen Mode and switching between monitors with different resolutions

Hi all,

I have noticed that with my VMs running in VM Player, when I launch them, they go to full screen mode straight off the bat, which is what I want, and this works great when I am out and about, because they launch with the correct resolution to run full screen (just using my laptop monitor).  When I am docked and have 2 additional screens that run a slightly different resolution to my laptop (screens are 1920 x 1200 and laptop is 1920 x 1080), if I use Win + Shift + Left Cur to move the VM to my left most screen (1920 x 1200) off my laptop screen (1920 x 1080), with the VM in full screen mode, VM Player does not trigger to recalculate the resolution that the VM should be running in.

Its not a massive issue, but an annoying one as it means I have to exit full screen mode and then re-enter it, which is a PITA.

Is this a known bug?  Is there a way to work around it by hitting a shortcut keycombo to trigger a refresh of the GFX res that VMWare uses?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Leaskovski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, so it looks as though you can't use AutoHotKey to capture key presses when a VMWare console has the focus, so remapping the Windows Key+Shift+left or right cursor will no longer work.  I can however still use those keys to move the  screen, and then use a different keypress combo to force a refresh....

; Control+Alt+r - Redraw a VM Window

^!r::

PostMessage, 0x7E, , , , ahk_exe vmplayer.exe

return

This has the desired effect of forcing a redraw to use the full resolution once the console has been moved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

Did not see a big on this issue or any reference to anyone else running into this (does not mean it does not happen).  You can open a Support Request if this is something you want to troubleshoot.

Matt

0 Kudos
Leaskovski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Erm, I would try and create a support ticket for this, but we are talking about vmware player... a free version on workstation... you can't create tickets for that product.  So how do I go about reporting it as a bug, because I fully expect it will be an issue in workstation as well given they are basically the same?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Leaskovski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I managed to resolve this in the end by doing a bit of magic with autohotkey.  I am using the following script to override the Windows Shortcut Keys that move an app around from one screen to another:

; Shift+Win+Left Arrow - Override the default Windows shortcut for VMware to force a redraw

#+Left::   

IfWinActive, ahk_exe vmplayer.exe

{

Send ^!{Enter}

Sleep 10

Send #+{Left}

Sleep 10

Send ^!{Enter}

return

}

Send #+{Left}

return

; Shift+Win+Right Arrow - Override the default Windows shortcut for VMware to force a redraw

#+Right::   

IfWinActive, ahk_exe vmplayer.exe

{

Send ^!{Enter}

Sleep 10

Send #+{Right}

Sleep 10

Send ^!{Enter}

return

}

Send #+{Right}

return

0 Kudos
Leaskovski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It seems as though Player 14 breaks the ability to use AutoHotkey to work around this issue.

So if anyone has the ability to raise this as a bug to VMWare, please be my guest as this is annoying as hell when working with numerous monitors.

0 Kudos
Leaskovski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, so it looks as though you can't use AutoHotKey to capture key presses when a VMWare console has the focus, so remapping the Windows Key+Shift+left or right cursor will no longer work.  I can however still use those keys to move the  screen, and then use a different keypress combo to force a refresh....

; Control+Alt+r - Redraw a VM Window

^!r::

PostMessage, 0x7E, , , , ahk_exe vmplayer.exe

return

This has the desired effect of forcing a redraw to use the full resolution once the console has been moved.

0 Kudos