VMware Communities
ResearchAssis
Contributor
Contributor

Forgotten Pw/Username

Hello,

Recently VMware Player froze up and would not display my cursor above the Desktop for Linux.  After restarting and resetting the virtual machine and computer, I eventually logged out of VMware Player and now it asks me for my username/password.  Top of the screen says "CentOS" in one corner with "localhost.localdomain" in the other.  I was in a rush setting this up and know that I'm only slightly wrong in guessing my login details but still with repeated tries, NOTHING.  Please someone help me!  I've got a lot to get done and I NEED this up and running! *frantic*

Thanks a lot everyone

0 Kudos
5 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

So you mean you don't have the Linux VM credentials, am I right?

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
ResearchAssis
Contributor
Contributor

What are the credentials?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

ResearchAssis wrote: Top of the screen says "CentOS" in one corner with "localhost.localdomain" in the other.  I was in a rush setting this up and know that I'm only slightly wrong in guessing my login details but still with repeated tries, NOTHING.

You'll need to boot into Rescue Mode or Single-User Mode, and use the passwd command to reset the root or user password.

0 Kudos
ResearchAssis
Contributor
Contributor

When I start the application I watch it go through several windows (ones with lines and [OK]s) when do I attempt to boot in Rescue or Single-User mode?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

This really is not a VMware issue pre se and is a Linux User issue so I'd suggest looking to the appropriate resources for the version of Linux you're using.  BTW This issue/subject has been covered hundreds (if not thousands) of times on the Internet so Google is a good resource to utilize in this case.

0 Kudos