VMware Communities
Diegoweb
Contributor
Contributor

File required to power on this virtual machine. If this file was moved, specify the new location

File not found: C:\Users\Montrel\Documents\Virtual Machines\SERV19\SERV19.vmdk

This file is required to power on this virtual machine. If this file was moved, specify the new location.

-------

I got this error on VMware Workstation 16 16.1.1 build-17801498, but the file is present and in the right path, if I browse it and select it, it says the same thing. 

This is what I have in the folder. I realised I don't have SERV19-s012, so I deactivated the antivirus and just how I saw in other post, copied one of the other files with the same name and changed with the 12, but that did't work.

What can I do to open the virtual machine? Thank you.

Diegoweb_0-1676546820286.png

Diegoweb_2-1676546950164.png

Diegoweb_1-1676546924965.png

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To me it looks like that the VM's virtual disk has been resized at some point in time. So if you want to replace the missing file with another one, you may likely need to use a copy of s001 .. s015.

However, rather than using a copy of one of the huge .vmdk files with user data, I'd suggest that you use a" "empty" one, that only contains the required metadata. According to the file sizes shown in your screen shot, you may try to create such a file yourself by creating a temporary VM with a 60GB virtual disk, and replace the missing file with a copy of the temp. VM's s012 file.
Please verify that the block size for the new file matches that of the missing file. You can find the block sizes in the small descriptor .vmdk files, i.e. the ones without s00x in their file names.

If that doesn't work, please attach the SERV19.vmdk descriptor file to your next reply, and I will create the missing file for you.

André

0 Kudos