VMware Communities
lornio
Contributor
Contributor

Failing to run 32-bit CentOS on my 64-bit Windows host

Hello everyone,

I apologise in advance if the topic is redundant, but I did not find the one that helps me.

I am trying to launch 32-bit CentOS7 in VMware Workstation 16.2.3 (non commercial use only) in my Windows 10 Home PC. However, whenever I try to launch it, the following error is arised

Error while powering on: This host supports AMD-V, but AMD-V is disabled.

AMD-V might be disabled if it has been disabled in the BIOS/firmware settings or the host has not been power-cycled since changing this setting.

(1) Verify that the BIOS/firmware settings enable AMD-V.

(2) Power-cycle the host if this BIOS/firmware setting has been changed.

(3) Power-cycle the host if you have not done so since installing VMware Player.

(4) Update the host's BIOS/firmware to the latest version.

This host does not support "AMD RVI" hardware assisted MMU virtualization.

VMware Player does not support the user level monitor on this host.

Module 'MonitorMode' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

As the error suggest, I should enable virtualisation feature from UEFI. Unfortunately, I cannot do that, as the CPU does not support virtualisation - in UEFI, there is not even an option related to it ("virtualisation", "AMD-V", et similia)

I thought it was no biggie, because it is needed for 64-bit guests, but I can work in a 32-bit environment as well. In fact, in the past I have managed to properly launch 32-bit OS images (in Oracle VirtualBox, in which now I'm experiencing the same issue).

I tried to launch other 32-bit OS images, but that resulted in the same error.

I really have no idea on how to fix this. Is it still possible to run 32-bit guests on a 64-bit host?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies