VMware Communities
NewUserL
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to start Ubuntu installed on a portable disk

Hi guys,

I have installed VM ware 15 (free version) and Ubuntu 18.04 on a potable disk, I ran Ubuntu by plugging the portable disk into my PC and running it from the portable disk. Someday I reset the Win 10 of my PC, after resetting I found something went wrong: when I tried to launch Ubuntu from the portable disk. VM ware complained: Error while powering on: Unable to find the VMX binary

Since I installed the Ubuntu on my portable disk, I think the resetting of PC's Win 10 didn't affect Ubuntu, all vmdk files are there on my portable disk, also the .vmx file is still in the folder where I installed Ubuntu. Is there a way to fix this issue?

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

The error message seems to indicate that it cannot find the VMware Workstation software, not your virtual machine files.

What version of Workstation/Player do you have installed on your host?

There are system files and device drivers which MUST be installed on the host OS - it is not designed to be a portable app.

0 Kudos
NewUserL
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your help, I installed VM workstation 15 free version on my portable disk, I think when I installed it there were some other files deployed on the host PC. But after resetting the host PC, they are gone I guess

0 Kudos