VMware Communities
zapeng
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Failed to open virtual machine

I used the convertor client to create this VM from one that is running fine on ESxi.  When I try to open on Win7-64 machine running vmplayer 3.1.4 I get the following error:

Failed to open virtual machine: File "D:\Data\VM Machines\WW 10_1 S2008_32\WW 10_1 S2008_32.vmx" line 1: Syntax error.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The attached file "WW 10_1 S2008_32.vmx.zip" contains the" WW 10_1 S2008_32.vmx" file created under VMware Player 3.1.4 and was then modified to reflect parameter values that you might want to stay the same like uuid etc.  Start VMware Player and then check its settings before running the VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Archive (compress) the .vmx configuration file and any vmware*.log files for that VM and attach the .zip archive to a reply post.

0 Kudos
zapeng
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Attached is vmx file.  I did not see a log file in the same folder.  If I need to look somewhere else, please let me know where.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

For whichever reason, the file is corrupted. Either download the original VMX file from the ESXi datastore and replace the corrupted file. Then open the VM's properties and adjust the network configuration. If this does not work, please attach the original VMX file.

André

zapeng
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is the .vmx file from the datastore

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The attached file "WW 10_1 S2008_32.vmx.zip" contains the" WW 10_1 S2008_32.vmx" file created under VMware Player 3.1.4 and was then modified to reflect parameter values that you might want to stay the same like uuid etc.  Start VMware Player and then check its settings before running the VM.

0 Kudos