VMware Communities
Kinsale
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to connect pipe to virtual machine: The system cannot find the file specified

I am trying to install an OVA file VM through VMware Player  - I keep getting the error "

Error while powering on: VMware Player cannot connect to the virtual machine. Make sure you have rights to run the program, access all directories the program uses, and access all directories for temporary files.

Failed to connect pipe to virtual machine: The system cannot find the file specified."

I have tried uninstalling VMware Player, using VMware Workstation, stopping and starting the services, different OVA files and the same error comes up consistently,Virtualisation is enabled in BIOS of my host which is my laptop running Windows 7 SP1.

Any help would be welcome as this is wasting a lot of time.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Are you able to create/run other VMs on this instance, or is it a new setup?

In case of a new setup, please verify that the installation image, that you've downloaded from the VMware web side is healthy, by verifying its checksum. Then uninstall VMware Player, reboot the host system, and install it again with elevated privileges (i.e. "Run as Administrator").

If other VMs work, please check whether a vmware.log file is created in the VM's folder at power on, and see whether it contains any helpful hints.

André

0 Kudos