VMware Communities
Jamaldo
Contributor
Contributor

'Experimental' Virtual SMP Ability

Does anyone have any knowledge/tips they could share regarding 2.0 Beta's ability to utilize more than one CPU?

Help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

What exactly would you like to know?

If your host has more than one physical CPU, you could take use 2 virtual CPU's in VMware Player 2.0. If the virtual machine was configured for two virtual CPU's and the guest OS is SMP.

You should really use this option if you really have a particular need for this, because it's too easy to over commit your host CPU resources with this type of configuration

0 Kudos
Jamaldo
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to network pc's together in order to make use of more than one CPU or do you have to use a single multi-core machine?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

No, with any of the hosted products, all resources must come from the one host.

KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

You can assign two processors to the virtual machine only if the host machine has at least two logical processors.

RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You can assign two processors to the virtual machine only if the host machine has at least two logical processors.

But please note that it is only recommended to do this only if you have more than two physical[/i] processors (or cores). Otherwise, the host is not left with enough resources to do its own jobs, and your guest performance will suffer greatly.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Yes it's easy to over commit as I had already mentioned in my above posting.

But as I said, the minimum requirement to use this option is two logical processors.

0 Kudos
Jamaldo
Contributor
Contributor

So if the VM was on a dual-core machine would you suggest using one CPU for the host and the other for the guest?

I'm trying to get as much power (and stability) to the VM as possible.

0 Kudos