VMware Communities
jamesdeluk
Contributor
Contributor

Every VM black screen on startup - found a hacky fix, but why does not work properly?

Every VM I start has a black screen. I'm pretty sure it's loading, as the screen size changes, and it usually makes sounds, can ping, etc. But black screen, so no use.

Linux and Windows VMs. Latest VMware Workstation Player on latest Windows 10. Tried reinstalling VMware, reinstalling VMs, restarting computer, 3D acceleration on/off.

The only way to make it work is to boot the machine, force close it with Task Manager, then re-start it. This was it goes into the "safe" boot mode (i.e "Last Known Good Configuration screen"), and always works - or sometimes it boots straight to the login screen (visibly so).

Log attached. Closed at late min 34, re-opened VMware at early min 35.

Why is this happening?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KRandolph
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem after updating to Player 15.5.6

Any update for this?

0 Kudos
jamesdeluk
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, no update. Happened a bit in 15.5.5, happens every time in 15.5.6.

0 Kudos
KRandolph
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for reporting the problem jamesdeluk​.  I thought I was going nuts with all my VMs having blank screens.

Somewhat surprising that no one else has the problem.  My PC is circa 2011, ancient by today's standards.  Maybe that has something to do with it.

I rolled-back to version 15.5.1, the version I had before "upgrading" to 15.5.6.  Sounds like 15.5.4 should work, but I don't feel like messing with it anymore.

0 Kudos
jamesdeluk
Contributor
Contributor

My computer is about a month old, so I doubt that's the issue!

0 Kudos