VMware Communities
anarayk
Contributor
Contributor

Error while powering on: Unable to open file ".vmdk": The system cannot find the file specified

Hi,

Error while powering on: Unable to open file "Ubuntu.vmdk":   The system cannot find the file specified. But the file is physically present in the directory

I had to hard boot my computer and after wards I get this error. Please let me know, if there is anything that can done.

Attaching the log files.

Thanks,

anarayk

0 Kudos
8 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

With VMware Player closed, delete any .lck files/folders from the VM's folder and then try starting it again.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not directly related to the issue, check whether your host's BIOS allows you to enable "VT-x" as well as "Execute Disable". This might increase the VM's performance and allow even 64-bit guests to run.

André

0 Kudos
anarayk
Contributor
Contributor

i deleted lck files, but even then it fails to power up.

After I got this error, I didn't had access to internet to check forums, so I renamed the Ubuntu.vmdk to Ubuntu_bk.vmdk and Ubuntu-s030.vmk to Ubuntu.vmdk just to see if I can get previous versions. But now i renamed it as previous setting. Will this result in any issues.

If yes, is there a solution? Please let me know.

Thanks,

anarayk

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Renaming doesn't help at all. The Ubuntu.vmdk is a descriptor file which contains metadata for the data (s00x.vmdk) files and it's always the descriptor file which is used in configurations and commands. Anyway, please provide a list of files and folders of the VM's directory.

With VMware Player closed run

dir "E:\VirtualBox VMs\*.*" /s /one > e:\filelist.txt

then compress/zip e:\filelist.txt as well as E:\VirtualBox VMs\Ubuntu.vmdk and attach the .zip file to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos
anarayk
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for reply

Please find the vmdk_listfiles.zip attached. (list files & Ubuntu.vmdk)

Thanks,

anarayk

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The VM's folder still contains "suspend" files which do not seem to be relevant anymore. What you could try is to delete the .vmss and .vmem files to see whether this solves the issue.

André

0 Kudos
anarayk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André,

Tried that but it didn't solve the issue

I get the same error

Error while powering on: Unable to open file "E:\VirtualBox VMs\Ubuntu.vmdk":

The system cannot find the file specified.

Thanks,

anarayk

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure what else could cause the issue. To rule out disk issue after the hard reset of the host, id' run a chkdsk e: /f. If this still doen't help, copy (don't move) the VM to another folder and try to start it from there.

André

0 Kudos