VMware Communities
jetberrocal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Error while opening virtual machine: internal error. How can I remove the machine?

I am trying to remove a VM in VMPlayer 12 but cant because it does not let me select it by giving me an internal error during selection.

Where is the configuration file so I can remove it editing the file by hand.  I know where the VM files are located, what I need is the Player configuration file location.

This is in Windows 7 Pro.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jetberrocal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I do not have that file in that folder. I have preferences.ini, could be this file for my VMPlayer version?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

%APPDATA%\VMware\inventory.vmls

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
jetberrocal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I do not have that file in that folder. I have preferences.ini, could be this file for my VMPlayer version?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Ahh. Right, VMPlayer has no library so for VMware the info in the preferences.ini is used.

VMware Workstation has that file too, but it isn't used for this purpose with VMware Workstation.

For the record, you would have to remove:

pref.mruVM1.filename = "<path to vmx file here>"

pref.mruVM1.displayName = "<VM name>"

Where mruVM<number> can be any number in the most recently used VM list.

I think you already found out, but if others bump into this thread then removing those entries relevant for the VM you want to remove will do.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos