VMware Communities
Diego_95
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error while opening the virtual machine: VMX file is corrupt.

Hi, i'm Diego, i'm new here.

I have a problem, when i try to  open the virtual machine i obtain this error: "
File not found: C:\Users\DiegoBoria\Documents\Macchine Virtuali\VM_W10_TI\Sintec_TI.vmdk
This file is required to power on this virtual machine. If this file was moved, specify the new location."
but i didn't move the file, and it exists in that location.
If i try to open the virtual machine by clicking on the VMDK file i obtain this error: "Error while opening the virtual machine: VMX file is corrupt."
I'm using VMWare 16 player.

In the attachment the logs.

Please help me.
Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The file ending s027.vmdk is missing.

Have you checked your security software to see if it has been quarantined, or your recycle bin to see if you deleted it by mistake?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

9 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

A full directory listing of C:\Users\DiegoBoria\Documents\Macchine Virtuali\VM_W10_TI would probably be helpful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Here is the extracted vmx file.

If the vmdk (virtual disk) file is not found (or all parts of it not found), then that is a different issue.

0 Kudos
Diego_95
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

not sure if this is what you need.

If it could help i tried to create a new VM and add the VMDK as existing disk and i have the error: "internal error".

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
Diego_95
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tell me if you need more information or other files.

Thank you both for the reply.

0 Kudos
Diego_95
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Scott,

the file i posted was what you need?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The file ending s027.vmdk is missing.

Have you checked your security software to see if it has been quarantined, or your recycle bin to see if you deleted it by mistake?

Diego_95
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Scott,

Thank you very much for your help i didn't noticed the missing file.

It was quarantined by Windows Protection.

Now i restored it from a backup and everything worked.

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You might want to consider excluding your VMs from host AV scans to prevent this kind of false positive in the future. Run an AV solution in the guest instead (if your VM is Windows). 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Scott - well done.
You are making progress 👍

Ulli