VMware Communities
ssssssara
Contributor
Contributor

Error while opening the virtual machine: Internal error. / Error while opening the virtual machine: The virtual machine cannot be found.

Hi,

I am having serious trouble opening my virtual machine. I'm running Win7, and have a virtual machine with Debian installed. I have had some troubles before, then solved by adding the line diskLib.sparseMaxFileSizeCheck= "FALSE" to the vmx-file.

I have attached two vmx-files. When I try to open "Debian Lenny.vmx" i get error "Error while opening the virtual machine: Internal error." When I try to open "Debian Lenny - backup.vmx" I get "Error while opening the virtual machine: The virtual machine cannot be found.". They reffer to the same vmdk file (Debian Lenny.vmdk", which is, by the way, HUGE (14 534 528 kB !!!).

I have searched google and this forum for answers, tried a couple of things, but still don't get it to work. Does anyone of you have a clue what could possibly be wrong?

I also attached the vmxf-files. In the directory there are some vmsd-files aswell, but the appears to be empty?! The vmware log files don't get changed when I try to open the VM, so I didn't attach them.

Please let me know if you need any more info!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ssssssara
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone? I'm desperate to get this to work!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

• Has any of the configuration files (especially the .vmx file) been renamed?
  • Are you able to open the VM's .vmx file using "File" -> "Open a Virtual Machine ..." from the menu?
  • Does any of the files in the VM's folder get touched (please provide a list of files (i.e. the ouptut of dir .* /one from the command line)?

André

0 Kudos
ssssssara
Contributor
Contributor

• Yes, the backup file is renamed. It has also been opened with this name before without any problem (I had to click "I copied it" when opening the first time).
  • No, same error
  • No, no files changes the "last changed"-date. I cant provide any output from cmd cause the folder is locaded in a file system with unc-path. Could that cause a problem for VM player? It obviously have worked before, but...
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If no time-stamps were updated, it could be an issue with the access to the VM's folder. Was something changed with the network access, e.g. passwords ...? Can you please try to start VMware Player "As Administrator" to see whether this changes anything (maybe an UAC issue).

André

0 Kudos