VMware Communities
sakdnf
Contributor
Contributor

Error Message

Hello

Last time I login to my virtual machine, there was not any problem but today I tried to login and the attached message appeared

The file is exist at that address but I do not know why it does not run

Is there anyone who has idea about?

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
13 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Well what files do you have? Are you missing any?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
sakdnf
Contributor
Contributor

scott28tt

No I did not miss the file? The file (Windows 8 x64 (1).vmdk) is already exists in correct path, but apparently the machine cannot use it. What is the problem?

The message is:

Unable to open file "C:\Users\...\Windows 8 x64 (1).vmdk". The system cannot find the file specified.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Post a full listing of all the files in that folder, most virtual disks are made up of multiple files (often called "slices") so it may be that one of those is missing.

It will also help if you state whether the VM has snapshots, and if so how many.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
sakdnf
Contributor
Contributor

I attached what you want. I can not understand what you mean by 'state whether the VM has snapshots, and if so how many'? Please explain in detail.

Thank for your help.

0 Kudos
sakdnf
Contributor
Contributor

scott28tt

I have missed another virtual machine just a few minutes ago. I have 3 virtual machines and now just one of them is remained. 

I checked the files. Both missed machines have missed this file: 'Windows 8 x64 (3)-s012.vmdk'. Maybe it can help you to solve the problem.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You're missing the slice numbered "s012"

I can't help you any further, but there are some users here who are good at helping with these issues.

I see you're using Player rather than Pro, ignore my comments about snapshots as Player doesn't support them anyway.

0 Kudos
sakdnf
Contributor
Contributor

Scott

What do I should do now? Tell me if missed VMs can be fixed up or not?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Wait for some skilled users to come along and help.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Create a dummy VM with same vmdk-name and same-vmdk size.
No need to install an OS.
Then steal the missing name-s00*.vmdk and inject it into the directory of the damaged VM.
Do NOT do this for name-s001.vmdk or name-s(last one).vmdk

NOTE: This does NOT fix your vmdk - the damage is done.
But it may be good enough to start the VM again - expect that the VM requires a fs-check or a checkdisk.

Ulli

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What I've seen before is that in some cases files were quarantined by A/V apps, so check whether this is the case, and release the file (if it is save).

André

0 Kudos
sakdnf
Contributor
Contributor

continuum

Thank you very much. The problem is removed. But the important question is why some slices remove?  What causes the problem I had?

Do you have any tips to prevent this from happening? Is there any consideration I should consider to prevent to occur again?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
sakdnf
Contributor
Contributor

a_p_

I appreciate you for your suggestion. What continuum said worked and the problem solved. But the important question is why some slices remove? What causes the problem I had? Do you have any tips to prevent this from happening? 

Thank you very much too.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's a good question. Some thoughts:

• consider to exclude *.vm* files from your A/V scanning (restricted to the VMs' folders, if possible)
  • make sure that the VMs are NOT stored in folders that are included in OneDrive synchronization
  • check whether any automatic "cleanup" utilities are running

André

0 Kudos