VMware Communities
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Error Creating Virtual Machine

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to ask my question, so if not please advise how I can get help.

I am installing VMware-Player version 14 (also tried version 15) and I am using the free version since this is only for personal use.

I am installing the app on Win 10 64 bit PC with more than enough free space.  I double clicked on the app and it seems to install okay but then when I try to open it I get an error message, see below.I would appreciate any help or detailed installtion instructions.

Thank you!

VM Ware Error.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No need to copy the ISO file to a DVD, or burn it to one.  In the VM settings, under the CD-ROM drive, instead of "use physical device", select "use ISO image", and browse to the file.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I should have said that I did not yet add a OS (Win 10 64 bit) and need to know how to do it using the refresh Windows tool

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I moved your post to the Player forum.

Have you connected a bootable ISO image with the Operating System Installation files to your VM before you power it on?

0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you, I could not find the player forum, would you provide me a link to it?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I believe you are on the right path.  I do not have a DVD on the PC.  I have a legitimate Win 10 license  and would like to some how do a fresh install but the only file I could find is "RefreshWindows Tool.exe".

So if you can tell me how I can work around this issue I would appreciate it.

PS:  I do have another PC with a DVD if that helps.

0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found out how to make a Win 10 iso and I put it on a USB drive.  I then started VMware and hit on create new virtual drive.

VMware then prompted me thru to find the iso and then it showed that it was creating file.  Then VMware oened up with hit any key to boot from DVD (I did not hit a key) and got message "unsuccessful" and then the screen shoed EFI Network.  After a while when nothing happened a blue screen popped up which is the boot manager.  I tried the alternatives in the boot manager but nothing seemed to be happening.

Can you please advise me further?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In order to have a working virtual machine actually do something, you need to install an operating system.  When you use Workstation Player/Pro to create a new virtual machine, all you are doing is configuring the (virtual) hardware, just like if you assembled parts for a physical computer.  When you turn it on for the first time, you need to provide an OS Installation media and initialize/setup the hardware, and install the OS.  You don't need an actual DVD/CD with a virtual machine, but you DO need to have the installation media image (ISO image file), and can mount that ISO image to the virtual machine's CD/DVD drive.  You need to obtain/create the installation ISO for whatever OS you want to install/run on your virtual machine.

0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I understand that I need to install the OS from an ISO file.  Please see my previous comment about my problem when I tried installing the OS using an ISO file

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Double-check that the virtual machine CD-ROM drive is configured to be connected at boot.

Also, you need to click the mouse into the VM window while booting to send focus to the VM, to be able to send keystrokes (for the "press a key to boot from CD")

0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The PC does not have a CD-ROM but you are saying that the virtual machine should be configured to be connected at boot.   If that is the correct info, then how do I configure the virtual machine to boot R=CD-ROM?

0 Kudos
Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Would appreciate more help.

I even tried installing the Win 10 virtual machine on my other PC which has a DVD and with the Win iso file on the DVD.  I still had the same problem with message about unsuccessful and then after waiting I got the same pop up screen for boot manager

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No need to copy the ISO file to a DVD, or burn it to one.  In the VM settings, under the CD-ROM drive, instead of "use physical device", select "use ISO image", and browse to the file.

Neil154
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Success!!

I used the ISO on my hard drive and this time when I got the prompt to hit any key to boot from DVD it worked (I did that before and it did not work).

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

0 Kudos