VMware Communities
CameronVM
Contributor
Contributor

Edit VMs Virtual Hardware System Information. DMI/EFI values

Hi,

I have a machine running a UEFI system in VMware workstation. I am trying to achieve something I have already proven in VirtualBox but now in VMWare. Which is editing values like the DmiSystemVendor, DmiSystemProduct, DmiBoardVendor, DmiBoardProduct etc names. I did this in VirtualBox using the following commands and the vboxmanage tool:

vboxmanage setextradata "VM name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemVendor" "vendor here"
vboxmanage setextradata "VM name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "product here"

But after a lot of browsing online, I can't figure out how to in VMWare.

I have tried adding various things to .vmx file and began looking in the EFI64.ROM file with UEFITool.exe but unsure on where/what to edit. Open to either solution.

Found a few posts asking similar but little answers, unfortunately, has anyone done this? Is it even possible in VMware?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

AFAIK you'll have to edit the firmware.
A couple of years ago I did so for a BIOS file.
Haven't looked at it again, but it is highly likely that that still is the only way.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Oops.. you posted a dupe... will move this thread to the bin and add my answer to the other thread...

edit: No you didn't, that was a reply and I noticed it after I merged (not binned). My apologies.
Sigh.. I better go to bed.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos