VMware Communities
StevenFL02
Contributor
Contributor

Duplicate Name Exists on Network

Hello everyone,

I have a clean XP template I will be using to distribute to several other computers on the same network.

Naturally, after copying the files over to another computer (and choosing the option that I copied it), it tells me that a duplicate name exists on the network.

This definitely makes sense because both virtual machines are running with the same name on the same network. I was hoping that by choosing I copied the virtual machine, it would also generate a new machine name for it.

I plan on distributing this template to about 30 other machines on the same network and would not like to have to go around to each virtual machine and rename it.

What do you think would be the best way to rename these virtual machines as I copy them over to other computers?

Thanks for the help.

*Note, I am not interested in changing the SID, just the Computer Name

0 Kudos
3 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

As I can't think a way of automating this with sysprep (you can check this MS tool), I would only create a VM template with unique name, and after that clone and change the name before configuring the network - sounds simple.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
StevenFL02
Contributor
Contributor

As long as all of these virtual machines are not joined to a domain, does it even matter if they have the same name? They have different IP addresses and different MAC addresses. Will there be any real network problems?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I was hoping that by choosing I copied the virtual machine, it would also generate a new machine name for it.

The name is a user configurable. The SID (or unique hard drive identifier) is what will change. When you select "copy" it assumes that it's a duplicate, and therefore needs to create a NEW unique signature. When you select "move" that means the other is DELETED, and it can keep the same one.

But the name, never changes, unless YOU change it.

0 Kudos