VMware Communities
VirtualJerry
Contributor
Contributor

Drag and Drop crashes VM Player

Environment: XP Pro host, XP Pro VM. VMware Player 2.0.2.

When drag-and-dropping folders from VM to host, my VM traps with 'Access Violation' (files usually work fine). This happens regardless of whether the folder pre-exists on the host or not. Of course, I circumvent by using an external drive, but it's quite inconvenient, and Sharing Folders was not enabled when this VM was created.

Sometimes when copying files, the mouse pointer stops at the window border of the VM and refuses to go further. Clicking on the host and then back on the VM sometimes addresses that, but sometimes that results in a trap - following a message that says that the VM is preparing to copy to the host.

At other times, I've noticed that I can't copy a file that I just had open in SQL Server. If that's the case, SQL Server in a VM is much slower than in the host to release it.

Once VM traps, I have to kill it with Task Manager so I can restart it, respond to the 'Access Violation' trap, and thereby restart the VM. The ''vmware-vmx.exe - Application Error' dialog that says The instruction at "0x004665fd) referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".

Sure, I could send the dump files to the VMware folks, but I understand that Player issues are not supported.

Has anyone else experienced a permutation of these symptoms and discovered any reasonable circumventions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
0 Replies