VMware Communities
wdbdesign
Contributor
Contributor

Drag & Drop with Win 7 x64 host & client?

It's my understanding that if both your client and host are Windows, then you should be able to drag and drop files between the host and the client.  I've got a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 host and a Windows 7 Professional x64 client and drag and drop is not working.  Based on every community discussion I could find on the subject, I've determined the following:

• When I drag a file from host -> client, the cursor indicates that the drop is not allowed.  However, the file *sometimes* seems to get copied to the current client user's temp folder (in the VMwareDnD subdir), but not always.  I haven't yet been able to tell why it sometimes shows up and other times doesn't.  Currently it's not showing up.
  • Copy and paste does work.  I can right-click a file on the host and choose "Copy", then right-click the desktop of the client and choose "Paste" and the file will appear on the client desktop.
  • VMWare Tools is installed and running on the client.
  • VMwareUser.exe is running on the client.
  • The client's color depth is 32 bpp.
  • The client is not set to auto-login.
  • I've tried deleting the VMwareDnD folder and rebooting.

These are the potential issues I've found in various community threads and I've checked them all on my system, and still no luck.  Is drag-and-drop supposed to work in current versions of the player?  What's the next step in tracking this down?  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bill.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
wdbdesign
Contributor
Contributor

I should add that my VMware Player version is 3.1.4 build-385536.

0 Kudos