VMware Communities
user1234567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Download VHD resizer for guest OS Windows XP and host OS Windows 7

Folks,

Hello. I am running VMPlayer 3. My host OS is Windows 7 and guest OS is Windows XP.

Because the Virtual hard disk of guest OS Windows XP is full, I need to expand it. http://wmtoolkit.com/files/folders/converters/entry87.aspx is not working.

My question is:

Can any folk provide a link to download VHD Resizer for guest Windows XP and host Windows 7 ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

First, Is correct to install VHD resizer in host OS Windows 7 and not guest OS Windows XP ?

No it shouldn't be installed at all to resize a VMware virtual hard disk.  The .vhd file extension is used with Microsoft virtulazition not VMware. (Not to say a .vhd can't be used, as it can however it not typical.)

Second, which file is selected to resize ?

None as that is not how a VMware virtual disk gets expanded from the VMware Player GUI! Smiley Wink

Resizing a virtual hard disk via the VMware Player GUI is done using the Expand command from the Utilities menu when selecting the virtual hard disk under the VM's Settings on the Hardware tab

Suggest you look in the VMware Player Help File!  Smiley Wink  VMware Player 3.x menu > Help > Help Topics > Using Disks and Disk Drives > Virtual Machine Disk Storage > Hard Disk Settings for Virtual Disks

Once the disk has been expanded then the virtual partition will need to be resized and I like André, like to use GParted Live ISO Image.

Third, why no unoccupied hard disk in Windows XP VM Settings after resize completed ?

Not sure what you mean by "why no unoccupied hard disk", "unoccupied"?  Screen shot of the Hardware tab for the target VM might help explain what you mean by "unoccupied".  However if you're trying to resize a VMware virtual hard disk in VMware Player 3.x then Expand the disk in the VM's settings and then use info in link provided by André in the first reply in this thread! Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There are several tools available to modify partitions (see e.g. http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1004071). What's best depends on the VM's current partition layout. I prefer the gParted live CD/ISO to resize the partitions after expanding the virtual disk.

André

kunaludapi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Check below link.

http://www.bursky.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/VhdResizerSetup.zip

--------------------------------------------------------------- Kunal Udapi Sr. System Architect (Virtualization, Networking And Storage) http://vcloud-lab.com http://kunaludapi.blogspot.com VMWare vExpert 2014, 2015, 2016 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
user1234567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Folks,

Hello. Thanks a lot for replying. VHD Resizer is better than GParted.

I have download and install VHD Resizer in my host OS Windows 7.

Now, I follow http://kb.dutchalps.com/microsoftvirtualpc.htm to resize my guest OS Windows XP virtual hard disk.

Then provide the file name of virtual disk to resize that is .vhd file.

In my Windows XP virtual machine files, there is no .vhd file. All of files are as below:

WinXP.nvram

WinXP.vmdk    (VMware virtual disk file)

WinXP.vmem

WinXP.vmsd

WinXP      (VMX file)

WinXP.vmxf

I select WinXP.vmdk file to do and give thenew name for resized disk "expanded_WinXP.vmdk".

After resize completed, I click VMPlayer 3 > Windows XP > VM > Settings, there is no unoccupied hard disk in VM Settings.

Thus, I have 3 questions as below:

First, Is correct to install VHD resizer in host OS Windows 7 and not guest OS Windows XP ?

Third, why no unoccupied hard disk in Windows XP VM Settings after resize completed ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> VHD Resizer is better than GParted.

The tool to use depends on what you are going to do. You would'd use a hammer to paint a wall, would you?

With VMware Player (and other VMware products) you can easily resize the virtual disk from the Player's GUI. The - after resizing the disk - you have to adjust the partitions in the guest OS itself as mentioned in the KB article I posted. The reason I like to use a live CD to do the job is that I don't need to install any other software in either the host or the guest OS.

André

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No it shouldn't be installed at all to resize a VMware virtual hard disk.  The .vhd file extension is used with Microsoft virtulazition not VMware. (Not to say a .vhd can't be used, as it can however it not typical.)

None as that is not how a VMware virtual disk gets expanded from the VMware Player GUI! Smiley Wink

Resizing a virtual hard disk via the VMware Player GUI is done using the Expand command from the Utilities menu when selecting the virtual hard disk under the VM's Settings on the Hardware tab

Suggest you look in the VMware Player Help File!  Smiley Wink  VMware Player 3.x menu > Help > Help Topics > Using Disks and Disk Drives > Virtual Machine Disk Storage > Hard Disk Settings for Virtual Disks

Once the disk has been expanded then the virtual partition will need to be resized and I like André, like to use GParted Live ISO Image.

Not sure what you mean by "why no unoccupied hard disk", "unoccupied"?  Screen shot of the Hardware tab for the target VM might help explain what you mean by "unoccupied".  However if you're trying to resize a VMware virtual hard disk in VMware Player 3.x then Expand the disk in the VM's settings and then use info in link provided by André in the first reply in this thread! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
user1234567
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Folks,

Hello. Thanks a lot for replying. I have used GParted to expand my guest OS Windows XP hard disk successfully.

The issue is solved.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos