VMware Communities
Steveis2
Contributor
Contributor

Dos 6.22 in vmware player on a laptop with no floppy

Hi,

I'd like to create virtual machine using vmware player on my laptop to run some old dos games using dos 6.22. The problem is my laptop has no floppy drive and my dos 6.22 is on three floppys. Is there a way to connect vmware player to a usb floppy drive plugged into the laptop to boot the dos installation from so I can install the OS or is ther another way to do it?

Regards Steve

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Download Winimage in case you do not already have it installed.
Use the USB-floppy and Winimage and create floppy-images from the original floppies.

Then use those image -files to install DOS.

Make sure you tell winimage to create files that are not compressed - a floppy-image should have a size of 1.44 MB

ramkrishna1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi NieMa

Welcome to the communities.

Agree with continuum.

And I am sure that will resolve your problem .

"concentrate the mind on the  present moment.".
Steveis2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I've got the program and created image files including vfd and IMA, however the vmware player has not booted from any of them. At the end of trying to run the virtual machine starting with the files I have created the message from the player is operating system not found.

I could be missing something very simple. I created the files and started to create the VM using the image file as a starting point, but it won't at the moment work.

Regards Steve jarvis

0 Kudos